The absolute state of update URLs

I2P router issues
FreefallHeavens

The absolute state of update URLs

Post by FreefallHeavens »

ConfigUpdateHandler.java: there isn't a single update address in there that works anymore, and some have stopped existing years ago.
eyedeekay

Re: The absolute state of update URLs

Post by eyedeekay »

These update URLs haven't been changed because we migrated to Bittorrent-based updates for everything that's not a platform-specific package(Debian, Android) many, many years ago, where a package manager is used. It's more likely that we would add bittorrent-based updating to those packages than it is that we would switch back to HTTP updates. As such, they are all but totally unused, and we only keep the option around as an emergency backup in the incredibly unlikely event that bittorrent-over-I2P becomes a less-reliable way to update than HTTP-over-I2P, and sometimes for dev builds. Since both these cases require changing out those defaults anyway, we left the defaults the same, now inert URLs. However, since stats.i2p worked as an HTTP mirror until stats went down, I do intend to replace that one this cycle.
FreefallHeavens

Post by FreefallHeavens »

eyedeekay wrote: 20 Mar 2023 14:31 These update URLs haven't been changed because we migrated to Bittorrent-based updates for everything that's not a platform-specific package(Debian, Android) many, many years ago, where a package manager is used. It's more likely that we would add bittorrent-based updating to those packages than it is that we would switch back to HTTP updates. As such, they are all but totally unused, and we only keep the option around as an emergency backup in the incredibly unlikely event that bittorrent-over-I2P becomes a less-reliable way to update than HTTP-over-I2P, and sometimes for dev builds. Since both these cases require changing out those defaults anyway, we left the defaults the same, now inert URLs. However, since stats.i2p worked as an HTTP mirror until stats went down, I do intend to replace that one this cycle.
I have been informed and stand corrected!
eyedeekay

Post by eyedeekay »

Well you're not exactly wrong, those URL's are indeed inert/stale/dead or whatever you want to call it. It's just that we don't really need them 99.99% of the time anymore.