i2p can rewrite with rust / c / c++(or merge i2p and i2pd project)

I2P router issues
bwdcal

i2p can rewrite with rust / c / c++(or merge i2p and i2pd project)

Post by bwdcal »

Hello, i2p developers.

rust / c / c++ performs better and compiles binary without external dependencies, so that it can be easily deployed on cheap vps at scale.

I found a rust implementation of i2p on github (a project called ire), but it seems to be less mature and not maintained anymore.

And rust / c / c++ can create dynamic libraries that can be called or embedded in other language platforms.

java is not well suited for a network underlay like i2p, so I hope to develop a rust version. Or merge the i2pd project to optimize the development effort and resources.
>>o<<
echelon

Re: i2p can rewrite with rust / c / c++(or merge i2p and i2pd project)

Post by echelon »

HI

If someone wants to do the job, go ahead!
We stick with the code we do know best, which is java, which works for >20 years well enough.
(and in the end, currently there is no sign of C/C++/rust doing the job better with less ressources as Java is doing)
So no place for a war on coding languages.

echelon
tunnel_king

Post by tunnel_king »

I've already begun this and am about to post the repo on the irc git. I was waiting to mention it at tomorrows dev meeting. I'm not big on IRC and only show for important meetings. ;)
NarratorZ-new

Post by NarratorZ-new »

tunnel_king wrote: 11 Jan 2023 10:23 I've already begun this and am about to post the repo on the irc git. I was waiting to mention it at tomorrows dev meeting. I'm not big on IRC and only show for important meetings. ;)
str4d need you!

https://github.com/str4d/ire
A satisfied I2Pd user, I2Pd 2.50.0
bwdcal

Post by bwdcal »

tunnel_king wrote: 11 Jan 2023 10:23 I've already begun this and am about to post the repo on the irc git. I was waiting to mention it at tomorrows dev meeting. I'm not big on IRC and only show for important meetings. ;)
good, thanks ;0

hope you can make i2p better.
>>o<<
bwdcal

Post by bwdcal »

echelon wrote: 11 Jan 2023 08:05 HI

If someone wants to do the job, go ahead!
We stick with the code we do know best, which is java, which works for >20 years well enough.
(and in the end, currently there is no sign of C/C++/rust doing the job better with less ressources as Java is doing)
So no place for a war on coding languages.

echelon
sorry, i dont want to war on coding languages.

i2p deployments currently rely on a jvm environment, so jdk must be installed. some cheap vps have very few resources, both memory and cpu resources. Therefore, a c / c++ / rust implementation would allow cheap vps and network edge nodes to deploy i2p.

And java's gc is stagnant, which may not be a good option for performance-hungry underlying network programs like i2p.

The above is a personal opinion, for reference only ;0
>>o<<
NarratorZ-new

Post by NarratorZ-new »

bwdcal wrote: 11 Jan 2023 14:58

i2p deployments currently rely on a jvm environment, so jdk must be installed. some cheap vps have very few resources, both memory and cpu resources. Therefore, a c / c++ / rust implementation would allow cheap vps and network edge nodes to deploy i2p.

And java's gc is stagnant, which may not be a good option for performance-hungry underlying network programs like i2p.

i2pd please.

https://i2pd.website
bwdcal

Post by bwdcal »

NarratorZ-new wrote: 12 Jan 2023 10:33
bwdcal wrote: 11 Jan 2023 14:58

i2pd please.

https://i2pd.website
hi friend.

i2pd is a great program, i like it, but many configuration items are not described in enough detail.

More importantly, lately i2pd has been unable to establish a connection, while i2p barely works. Not sure why.
>>o<<
NarratorZ-new

Post by NarratorZ-new »

bwdcal wrote: 12 Jan 2023 15:49
hi friend.

i2pd is a great program, i like it, but many configuration items are not described in enough detail.

More importantly, lately i2pd has been unable to establish a connection, while i2p barely works. Not sure why.
try setting reseed proxy? or disable NTCP2?
bwdcal

Post by bwdcal »

NarratorZ-new wrote: 13 Jan 2023 00:55
bwdcal wrote: 12 Jan 2023 15:49
hi friend.

try setting reseed proxy? or disable NTCP2?
have try, but also not work. I think it's network censorship firewall reason.
>>o<<