I2P proxy on another machine

I2P router issues
zestyfly

I2P proxy on another machine

Post by zestyfly »

I installed i2p on another Linux machine and pointed the proxy settings of the browser to that machine IP instead of 127.0.0.1 but it doesn't work. I want to use the other computer because the I2P connection is always running, is it possible to do it?
echelon

Re: I2P proxy on another machine

Post by echelon »

sure, you may use ssh tunnels into the I2P router machine or you need to change the settings for the services in i2p config to "bind on all interaces", but that opens it up to every client, you may need a firewall ahead.

echelon
zestyfly

Post by zestyfly »

echelon wrote: 07 Jan 2023 08:49 sure, you may use ssh tunnels into the I2P router machine or you need to change the settings for the services in i2p config to "bind on all interaces", but that opens it up to every client, you may need a firewall ahead.

echelon
I tried adding the LAN IP of the machine I want to connect from as explained here in the second method (I wish to avoid the ssh tunnel)
I edited the line clientApp.0.args=7657 ::1,127.0.0.1 ./webapps/ to clientApp.0.args=7657 ::1,127.0.0.1,192.168.1.10 ./webapps/ where 192.168.1.10 is the IP of the machine I want to connect from
and also tried to edit that line to clientApp.0.args=7657 ::1,127.0.0.1,192.168.1.0 ./webapps/ in order to allow connections from all LAN addresses
I made the change in ~/.i2p/clients.config.d/00-net.i2p.router.web.RouterConsoleRunner-clients.config and also tried renaming ~/.i2p/clients.config.bak to ~/.i2p/clients.config and editing that file but nothing seems to work
I also don't understand if this is supposed to work at all since it's probably for the console only.
echelon

Post by echelon »

Hi

So not use single IP addresses in the listener, Those are networks, aka interfaces like localhost or "all internet".
You need to use 0.0.0.0 (or create a new interface and use that one).

echelon
zestyfly

Post by zestyfly »

echelon wrote: 08 Jan 2023 14:55 Hi

So not use single IP addresses in the listener, Those are networks, aka interfaces like localhost or "all internet".
You need to use 0.0.0.0 (or create a new interface and use that one).

echelon
Thanks, I tried adding 0.0.0.0 but it doesn't work either. I tried with the i2pd client on another machiine and thaht works, I don't have to configure anything, but i2pd is limited compared to the official I2P client. So maybe I didn't understand and put that 0.0.0.0 in the wrong line of config? Can you explain more in detail how to open the proxy to other machines in LAN so that from any computer I just need to configure the browser to point to the machine running the I2P router?
echelon

Post by echelon »

Hi,

see https://geti2p.net/en/faq under https://geti2p.net/en/faq#remote_webconsole

And for each (other) service you need to do the same, or in tunnel config change the reachable by address.

echelon
zestyfly

Post by zestyfly »

echelon wrote: 09 Jan 2023 10:08 Hi,

see https://geti2p.net/en/faq under https://geti2p.net/en/faq#remote_webconsole

And for each (other) service you need to do the same, or in tunnel config change the reachable by address.

echelon
Yeah I saw and done that, but it doesn't work. So there's not an easy way like with i2pd?
echelon

Post by echelon »

HI

the way it is described in the FAQ does work for me. Did you check you do edit the correct config and did you have had a view into the log section for the router console webserver to listen on the correct interface?

echelon
zestyfly

Post by zestyfly »

echelon wrote: 10 Jan 2023 08:30 HI

the way it is described in the FAQ does work for me. Did you check you do edit the correct config and did you have had a view into the log section for the router console webserver to listen on the correct interface?

echelon
I can't because the router is a headless server, I want to just install and run it and use another computer to actually browse I2P
echelon

Post by echelon »

Hi

the logfiles are in the logs directory. You should be able to read them if you can access that server remotely.

echelon