Is it possible to search for newest files?

The MuWire file sharing application
robabok978

Is it possible to search for newest files?

Post by robabok978 »

with different modi

like something "new added" where you start a search for all files but it will only show you the new to the network added files and this in realtime

or

sort the list of searched files.
zlatinb

Re: Is it possible to search for newest files?

Post by zlatinb »

At the moment no, but it's possible to implement of course. What you can do right now is subscribe to other users' file feeds and see what they publish. But there is no search functionality and I'm not sure how to represent this visually in the UI without making the search interface too complicated.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

The search behavior of almost all participants follows the same pattern. Instead of searching for a specific title, people search for the file type, i.e. extensions like mp4, mkv, flac, etc., in the hope of finding something they didn't know they were missing before. (For the perverts, it's the standardized international keywords.) Searching for the "newest files" is just the logical continuation of this behavior. This simulates page one of the BitTorrent trackers, where the ordinary file sharer is presented with a current offer, which he then usually accepts without further searching for better alternatives.

If the local data such as the date is made publicly available, then a behaviour pattern can be derived from it. However, it is already possible to include a date in the descriptive sidecar file. However, I still see a considerable need for clarification as to how MuWire works.
Spring https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF-q-IGQQb1uK7fYuaQiRpcORDSmfsY2n
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

lgillis wrote: 20 Feb 2022 10:40 If the local data such as the date is made publicly available, then a behaviour pattern can be derived from it. However, it is already possible to include a date in the descriptive sidecar file. However, I still see a considerable need for clarification as to how MuWire works.
The data can be made available that's easy, of course with the ability to opt-out from "What's new" searches. But I don't think the tracker analogy really holds, we had that feature in LimeWire and it was mostly garbage. Trackers on the other hand can provide the most popular content because they have total knowledge of what's available.

Regarding clarifications I agree. I would love to have some good how-to guides on MuWire, but I don't really want to write them myself because I'm not the right person for that. It would ideally come from a user perspective, not from a developer.
robabok978

Post by robabok978 »

Is this right?:
Searches for newest are possible with the date desription. Which could also provide searches for a range of time.
You can also sort your searches by this.

There is no date_added parameter for added shared files, not seen by the user?

The certification of files has timestamps and are searchabble by this?
"A certificate is a signed document that contains a timestamp, the name of the file, the hash of the file and the identity of the person signing it."

I do think it not even possible to archieve the realtime logging of new added files, this would go into 100 oer second and is more for graphs. But i liked the idea. Sitting there and watching how the network is used and what for :) But i agree there could be security risk not so much by targeting a id or groups by the added date behaviour and constructing a pattern. It is more that someone centralized could know so much about the structure and behaviour of the entire network. I think I2p is more like: i know a buddy, who knows a buddy, who knows a buddy.... :)

Thanks