Tips on Installing Website on I2p Server-Its Problematic

I2P router issues
Rancho

Tips on Installing Website on I2p Server-Its Problematic

Post by Rancho »

I wanted to know if there is a quality tutorial or online advice to ease the setup of the index.html and .css files, where to place these files so the server will serve to the user. I recently tried to get the webserver to work on the new 2.4.0 version but when I tried to click the button to go to the webserver area it appears like it wants to go to port 7658 (where I assume the webserver works) but it will not connect, times out. I added exceptions on the firewall but the firewall wasnt even active (UFW). Then I went into the configuration area trying to see if I could find anything mis configured and I saw a setting for show my ip address,,...what ip to show the world? That was surprising but then I saw another option saying hide ip so I clicked that. Then it said it needed to reboot for those new changes to take effect. I am maybe not understanding or seeing something but I dont know why it would want to or allow the ip to be shown. After this reboot I am now not able to login to the server.i was thinking about erasing i2p and install it again but I would like to be able to fix it and upload the websites files and continue with life.

This is the message it continuously rains down I get after connecting with the port forwarding command
ssh i2p@53.10.254.3 -p 1400 -L7657:localhost:7657 -L4444:localhost:4444 (example)

channel 5: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
channel 6: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
anikey

Re: Tips on Installing Website on I2p Server-Its Problematic

Post by anikey »

Rancho wrote: 04 Jan 2024 19:51 I wanted to know if there is a quality tutorial or online advice to ease the setup of the index.html and .css files, where to place these files so the server will serve to the user.
I've already mentioned this earlier but the built in jetty server comes with help, which is what by default opens if you go to it (index.html redirects to http://localhost:7658/help/.
Tl;dr for your above quoted question: document root of jetty is at ~/.i2p/eepsite/docroot and it also contains that help instructions (which you can delete if you want).
Rancho wrote: 04 Jan 2024 19:51 I recently tried to get the webserver to work on the new 2.4.0 version but when I tried to click the button to go to the webserver area it appears like it wants to go to port 7658 (where I assume the webserver works) but it will not connect, times out.
It does not connect because it assumes that i2p runs on the same computer that the browser is on. So it tries to go to localhost:7658, but the port is not listened on the local machine. Adding yet another ssh port forward (this time for port 7658) should resolve the problem:
Something like this:

Code: Select all

ssh i2p@server.ip -p 1400 -L7657:localhost:7657 -L4444:localhost:4444 -L7658:localhost:7658
Rancho wrote: 04 Jan 2024 19:51 Then I went into the configuration area trying to see if I could find anything mis configured and I saw a setting for show my ip address,,...what ip to show the world? That was surprising but then I saw another option saying hide ip so I clicked that.
I'm not sure i've even ever seen that type of message. Maybe it's something from the system? Or somewhere else?
Rancho wrote: 04 Jan 2024 19:51 After this reboot I am now not able to login to the server.i was thinking about erasing i2p and install it again but I would like to be able to fix it and upload the websites files and continue with life.
From what i understand, you rebooted the server. So now the tmux session and i2p router are not started (remember, it is not good to stop i2p suddenly). Open a new tmux session (just run 'tmux' without any arguments), and inside it start i2p router again (cd to i2p directory and bash i2prouter start).
Rancho wrote: 04 Jan 2024 19:51 This is the message it continuously rains down I get after connecting with the port forwarding command
ssh i2p@server.ip -p 1400 -L7657:localhost:7657 -L4444:localhost:4444 (example)

This message means ssh can't connect to the port on the server. It should go away after you start i2p and wait a little (< 1 min) so that it can initialize.