Enabling floodfill--What it does?

All around i2pd - a different implementation of the I2P protocol
eepman

Enabling floodfill--What it does?

Post by eepman »

If I enable the floodfill from /etc/i2pd/i2pd.conf file, what happens? How do I help the i2p network? From my home router, I have limited the single board computer that's running i2pd to 3 MiB/s download 2 MiB/s upload bandwidth. Would that bandwidth still help the i2p network in floodfill mode?
xmr: 82w6CM9MKMyNpyj8grvxfXhnm4CJUJbBAUjtTTTBd4tXFmrL4MTDW2xGFFhCrUzEr7hsoL4nc1687SsP8umwCucU8cwXi5D
unveiledwrath

Re: Enabling floodfill--What it does?

Post by unveiledwrath »

When you're floodfill you participate in storing LeaseSets (destination addresses basically). Essentially on top of relying bandwidth you also participate in securing network consensus. I believe it requires a bit more CPU and bandwidth. Your bandwidth should be fine, I think you should enable it. Actually on the Java app if your node is good it's enabled automatically. Also I believe the network tests your node and approves it if you're not malicious but I'm not sure.
eepman

Re: Enabling floodfill--What it does?

Post by eepman »

unveiledwrath wrote: 30 Sep 2023 17:21 When you're floodfill you participate in storing LeaseSets (destination addresses basically). Essentially on top of relying bandwidth you also participate in securing network consensus. I believe it requires a bit more CPU and bandwidth. Your bandwidth should be fine, I think you should enable it. Actually on the Java app if your node is good it's enabled automatically. Also I believe the network tests your node and approves it if you're not malicious but I'm not sure.
I enabled it some weeks ago. It indeed seems to use more CPU, but that's OK. The increased bandwidth is OK, too, as I have my single board computer's BW capped on my home router anyways (to 3 MB/s up&down). Is this BW enough to help the i2p network as a floodfill node?

Also, in i2pd docs [1], it says, "You can enable floodfill only if it has public ipv4 address". My i2pd node is running on my home network behind a CGNAT, so I don't think I have a public ipv4 address. Is this a problem for acting as a floodfill node?

[1]: https://i2pd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/u ... dfill-mode
xmr: 82w6CM9MKMyNpyj8grvxfXhnm4CJUJbBAUjtTTTBd4tXFmrL4MTDW2xGFFhCrUzEr7hsoL4nc1687SsP8umwCucU8cwXi5D