A few suggestions to i2p & i2pd

I2P router issues
bwdcal

A few suggestions to i2p & i2pd

Post by bwdcal »

i2p is a great project that helps people's privacy very much, thanks to the hard work of the developers.

As a long time user of i2p, I have some suggestions for the developers of i2p.

1. optimize the startup connection speed. After getting the seeds, i2p still takes a few minutes to start up to connect, and sometimes it doesn't even connect (for unknown reasons). This is obviously a bit slow and I hope it will be optimized.

2. whether the address book can be merged to get the seeds. This will reduce the number of steps to get the address book when connecting and thus increase the speed.

3. provide a tor bridge. The volunteer can provide some nodes that connect to tor and use the tor exit nodes to solve the problem of insufficient i2p exit nodes. And, in this way, improve the speed of i2p access to the external Internet.

In short, I hope kind developers will pay attention to optimize the connection efficiency and access speed of i2p, and improve the usability of i2p.

Sincere thanks!
>>o<<
echelon

Re: A few suggestions to i2p & i2pd

Post by echelon »

Hi

thank you,
1. not easy, the router needs to get known to the others and rate them and try to route traffic to see if the announced bandwidth is true or not.
You do not want this pre-calculated and stored everywhere.
The startup process was already optimized over the last 20 years and will be further optimized, though.
2. not easy, as addressbook is the routers view on the network, every I2P does have a different addressbook. The user decides which entry is valid and which not. Your router may have a different b32 address for zzz.i2p than mine. All possible in I2P, and all based on trust.
3. I2P project does not provide any services beside I2P Git and the I2P Website. Everthing else needs to be run by private people or other folks.
I2P is no legal entity and cannot do more than Git and the geti2p Website.

echelon
bwdcal

Post by bwdcal »

echelon wrote: 10 Jan 2023 08:29 Hi

thank you,
1. not easy, the router needs to get known to the others and rate them and try to route traffic to see if the announced bandwidth is true or not.
You do not want this pre-calculated and stored everywhere.
The startup process was already optimized over the last 20 years and will be further optimized, though.
2. not easy, as addressbook is the routers view on the network, every I2P does have a different addressbook. The user decides which entry is valid and which not. Your router may have a different b32 address for zzz.i2p than mine. All possible in I2P, and all based on trust.
3. I2P project does not provide any services beside I2P Git and the I2P Website. Everthing else needs to be run by private people or other folks.
I2P is no legal entity and cannot do more than Git and the geti2p Website.

echelon
Thanks for your reply ;0

for #1. As a deep user, I hope i2p gets better and better, faster and faster, more and more stable, continuous improvement and upgrade.

for #2. Is there a security problem with the address book approach? For example, if a malicious user declares that he owns a certain i2p domain, such as evil.i2p.

for #3. maybe I'm not describing it accurately. What I mean is to provide a way for users in the censored region to build i2p<=>tor services in that region. By doing so, the problem of insufficient i2p exit nodes would be alleviated. Currently there are too few i2p exit nodes.

Thanks to the developers of i2p! The above thinking may not be mature, just hope i2p is getting better and better.
>>o<<
echelon

Post by echelon »

Hi

Anyone can setup its own addressbook with its own entries. There is no "evil" or "good", just trust by the user.
You can trust your addressbook to contain the same link as the others, but must not be.

For easy start there is a predefined list on install and several server distributing name entries do exist. You just need to trust them.

Everyone may setup a tor <=> I2P bridge, for I2P it is just a tunnel like everything else. For Tor the same.

echelon
bwdcal

Post by bwdcal »

echelon wrote: 10 Jan 2023 18:25 Hi

Anyone can setup its own addressbook with its own entries. There is no "evil" or "good", just trust by the user.
You can trust your addressbook to contain the same link as the others, but must not be.

For easy start there is a predefined list on install and several server distributing name entries do exist. You just need to trust them.

Everyone may setup a tor <=> I2P bridge, for I2P it is just a tunnel like everything else. For Tor the same.

echelon
thanks, i have understand your idea ;0
>>o<<