Risk of P2P surfing darkweb?

Misc topics about I2P
Deleted User 7006

Risk of P2P surfing darkweb?

Post by Deleted User 7006 »

Unfortunately, there is a lot of questionably legal and downright illegal traffic on the darkweb.

One of the nice things about Tor, is that it allows users to access the darkweb for legitimate purposes without requiring them to relay traffic from other users.

I2P, on the other hand, is built on the principle of sharing your bandwidth with other users.

Doesn't that expose users to forwarding potentially questionable traffic of others?

Even with such traffic being split between multiple peers and getting mixed with other traffic going through those same peers, doesn't that put every user at some risk by making them complicit in any illegal traffic that I2P may be directing through them?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question and I assume it gets asked all the time, but I haven't been able to find a sufficiently clear answer that comprehensibly explains how this risk is mitigated. And it is the main concern that prevents me from using I2P.
echelon

Re: Risk of P2P surfing darkweb?

Post by echelon »

Hi

Even Tor has the same issues, as the relays do have that issues, to.
Traffic needs to be routed, by whomever.

For your personal I2P node: yeah, thats a risk. You may disable participating traffic, but that will make your I2P node partly unique and all traffic in/out is yours.
On the other side: all I2P traffic is encrypted, nobody does see what traffic goes in/out, neither does anyone know if it is legit or not.
So: do not care in democratic countries and do keep using participating traffic. (I like to compare it with the default internet routers, which do route ALL Internet traffic, legal or not, and they are not jailed for this, to).

But in some countries it maybe a risk for running I2P at all, like Tor, or using Internet at all. People do ALWAYS find a way to sue you, whatever you do in opressiv countries.
Thats a risk people do need to take.

echelon