i2p behind a vpn?

HowTos, FAQs, Tips & Tricks, & Guides
orfX

i2p behind a vpn?

Post by orfX »

Hello, my question is anonymity.

we need a vpn to get anonymity with i2p?

Can our internet provider see the connections to i2p without the vpn?

Is there an obfs4proxy like with tor to hide the connections to i2p without vpn?

Brief, simply do we need to hide the connections to i2p with or without vpn to be quiet and anonymous?

Thank you all for your answer. See you soon.
echelon

Re: i2p behind a vpn?

Post by echelon »

Hi

no, I2p works best without a VPN.

echelon
orfX

Post by orfX »

Thank you for your answer.

I saw with wireshark that the connections were udp and tcp.

the internet provider looks at the connections by saying I'm downloading?

*** I'd really like to hide the fact that I'm using i2p! Is it possible or is there no need? **

(in hidden mode without sharing behind a vpn, i2p works perfectly well and fast)
deborahning

Post by deborahning »

echelon

Post by echelon »

orfX wrote: 30 Mar 2022 18:12 Thank you for your answer.

I saw with wireshark that the connections were udp and tcp.

the internet provider looks at the connections by saying I'm downloading?

*** I'd really like to hide the fact that I'm using i2p! Is it possible or is there no need? **

(in hidden mode without sharing behind a vpn, i2p works perfectly well and fast)
Hi

I2P does not hide the fact you are using I2P, it hodes what you are doing inside I2P.
It is designed to work best without VPN and other obfuscation tools, but yeah, ANY ISP/Router/provider in between does see TCP and UDP connections between I2P nodes and can fairly say it is I2P.
But they can not say what data goes through those connection neither if any of those nodes are client/server or just nodes in between those.

Even in hidden mode those UDP/TCP connections do appear, just the other I2P nodes do not save your IP/I2P router node information into the I2P router netDB.

With a VPN you handle all your traffic to a not-trustworthy VPN server (or did you checked them and be 100% life sure they are trustworth?) and you add another point of failure and complexity to the net. And your ISP does see those connections to the VPN provider, to.
I2P has some kind of alike setup on the roadmap (use another external I2P host as fixed-IN-to-I2P-network point, but still not yet made the design decision howto do that good.

echelon
arkwright

Post by arkwright »

Let me just add a comment here: I use I2P both with (mainly) and without a VPN these days and its performance does not appear to be affected.

As it is inconvenient to keep turning the VPN on and off, I leave it on most of the time and have not seen any problems (yet).

Just my two cents. :lol:
orfX

Post by orfX »

Hello, finally I tested with lokinet and it's better than a vpn. With lokinet it opens a lokitun0 and all the traffic udp and tcp as well as dns go through lokitun0.

And on the way out I use an exit to the clearnet "exit.loki"

i2p works perfectly well with lokinet. Everything is redirected to lokitun0 and anonymized with this network