Feature Requests

The MuWire file sharing application
zlatinb

Re: Feature Requests

Post by zlatinb »

B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:40
Shared Files table... what you also can do is adding 5 invisible bogus lines at the bottom of the list. That's more or less the same as you do now with the difference that the extra space is there to begin with so the Y-scrollbar won't shrink/expand.

Some of the 5 empty lines can also be misused to list things like the amount of shared files and the combined size of it.
Ugh. This would be terrible to code, especially with the current table sorting logic. Agreed that some extra general info about the shared files is helpful but it doesn't belong in a table line which can scroll off.

B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:40 An unrelated strange thing is that I don't get any uploads anymore. Search/Download works but didn't get a single upload in the passed 13 hours, which is remarkable at least. "Shared files" shows them as usual and MuStatus shows 28/64 In/Out-connections and 165 known hosts right now so nothing weird over there.
Well it's all about what queries fly on the network. In the standalone there is a tool called "Content Control Panel" which lets you spy on what others are searching for based on regex rules (or .* for everything).
B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:40 And another question... Does MuWire check for newly added files to the "shared files" folder? Like, if I add a file by hand, will it be shared as well? If so, when? Does is poll for updates every now and then or only at start-up? If polling is scheduled, can the values be altered somewhere?
There is no "Shared Files" folder by default; there is a folder for downloaded files, but you need to add shared folders explicitly. To answer your question, if you share an entire folder, MuWire will register for filesystem notifications from the OS for that folder and all subfolders. So if you copy/move/symlink a file in a shared folder, MuWire will share it. And vice versa if you delete a shared file from a shared folder MuWire will detect that and unshare it.

The underlying mechanics are OS-dependent. On Linux the inotify facility is used; on Windows I don't know but it's probably polling of some kind. If it is polling then it probably happens every few milliseconds.

The standalone there is a tool called "Advanced Sharing" which shows you all folders which MuWire is watching for changes. They can also be found in MuWire.properties in the "watchedDirectories" property in Base64-encoded format.
B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:40 edit:
Got a "Version 20" update notification with a "ReStart" request. Gonna take advantage of it by rebooting my system.
???
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:55 Ugh. This would be terrible to code, especially with the current table sorting logic. Agreed that some extra general info about the shared files is helpful but it doesn't belong in a table line which can scroll off.
True. But maybe as a temporary fix, albeit that it also works the way it is now.
zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:55
B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:40 An unrelated strange thing is that I don't get any uploads anymore.
Well it's all about what queries fly on the network.
It's getting worse. MuWire won't connect anymore. Status shows "Connections: Down" but it has in/out connections and the I2P console shows the tunnels. A "Search" returns a "Not initialized" error. Manually stopping/starting the plug-in won't help. Disabling firewall won't do too.

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:55 The underlying mechanics are OS-dependent. On Linux the inotify facility is used; on Windows I don't know but it's probably polling of some kind. If it is polling then it probably happens every few milliseconds.
O.k. So, nothing weird there. Reason I asked is because some regular P2P tools have there own polling method (eMule, WinMX, etc.)
zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:55
B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 13:40 Got a "Version 20" update notification with a "ReStart" request. Gonna take advantage of it by rebooting my system.
???
That's what I was thinking. It could've been an I2Speed update. Now I think of it, could it be this may be the cause of the MuWire "Connections: Down" issue I have right now?
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 14:41
It's getting worse. MuWire won't connect anymore. Status shows "Connections: Down" but it has in/out connections and the I2P console shows the tunnels. A "Search" returns a "Not initialized" error. Manually stopping/starting the plug-in won't help. Disabling firewall won't do too.
Not good, looks like the plugin has failed to initialize. Can you check the i2p router logs for any errors? Maybe restart the entire router?
B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 14:41 That's what I was thinking. It could've been an I2Speed update. Now I think of it, could it be this may be the cause of the MuWire "Connections: Down" issue I have right now?
I don't know what I2Speed is doing beyond what's on their site, and last I checked they didn't have any changes related to how plugins are handled. With vanilla i2p whenever there is a router update the plugins are checked for updates too. Maybe you tried to start MuWire while the update check was under way? Either way I can't think of anything other than restarting the entire router that could help.
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 14:59 Not good, looks like the plugin has failed to initialize. Can you check the i2p router logs for any errors? Maybe restart the entire router?
ReStarted without results.

Log shows a critical warning that doesn't ring a bell:

Code: Select all

23 Mar 2020, 16:19:00 CRIT [2CP Reader 4] 2p.router.client.ClientManager: Client attempted to register duplicate destination i4f[i](SOME-CHARACTER-HERE)[/i]i3k5mt5sao3htxc4o2liovxjq.b32.i2p
Got rid of the I2Speed update by re-installing the official I2P 0.9.45-0 update, just to be sure, but no change.

One thing I can do is re-installing MuWire.

edit:
Wrapper log has some more info:

2020/03/23 16:18:46 | WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
2020/03/23 16:18:46 | WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedClass (file:/C:/ProgramData/Application%20Data/i2p/plugins/MuWire/lib/groovy-2.4.15.jar) to method java.lang.Object.finalize()
2020/03/23 16:18:46 | WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedClass
2020/03/23 16:18:46 | WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

The illegal reflective access warning is normal for Java 9+, don't worry about it.
B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 15:27
Log shows a critical warning that doesn't ring a bell:

23 Mar 2020, 16:19:00 CRIT [2CP Reader 4] 2p.router.client.ClientManager: Client attempted to register duplicate destination i4f[i](SOME-CHARACTER-HERE)[/i]i3k5mt5sao3htxc4o2liovxjq.b32.i2p
This message means something is trying to open the same destination that MuWire would open, and most likely indicates that the plugin tried to start twice. As a last resort, can you make sure you disable "Run at Startup" in the plugin configuration page, then restart the router, wait until some client tunnels are built and only then start MuWire manually?
B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 15:27 One thing I can do is re-installing MuWire.
If you decide to do that make sure you restart the router after uninstalling, only then re-install MW. Backup all the stuff in the I2P\plugins\MuWire directory if you want to retain your old identity.
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 15:50 As a last resort, can you make sure you disable "Run at Startup" in the plugin configuration page, then restart the router, wait until some client tunnels are built and only then start MuWire manually?
That seems to work. Now it shows connections in the left pane and "Search" returns some results.
zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 15:50 If you decide to do that make sure you restart the router after uninstalling, only then re-install MW. Backup all the stuff in the I2P\plugins\MuWire directory if you want to retain your old identity.
I'm not attached to my identity and not using Feeds/Subscribe so loosing it isn't a big deal. Now I know it works I'll check what happens if re-enable automatic start-up. If it returns to the "not connected" situation I'll do a re-install.

edit:
Auto-start doesn't work anymore so I tried to re-install MuWire. First attempt with a local "MuWire 0.6.8-b13.s3u" file, which didn't work. Then using the url, which also doesn't work.

Transfer failed from http://muwire.i2p/MuWire.su3
Installed plugin does not contain the required configuration file

And now I'm lost :-)

edit 2:

Solved.

MuWire folder must not already exist when installing the MuWire plug-in.
Re-installed and re-used my existing .properties and .config and everything seems to be fine again, even with automatic start-up.

edit 3:

"Shared Files Tree" behavior is a bit weird. If I have, i.e, 20 shared files, and delete 1 file, the deleted file is still in the list but without the "action" option and the filename is in black in stead of blue. Also the attached "key" is gone. At the top it keeps saying "20 shared files" but there are actually only 19.

"Shared Files Table" shows "20 shared files" but only lists the 19 that are actually there.

Is this as intended or is it a windows thing?
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 16:06 Is this as intended or is it a windows thing?
This is a proper bug, thanks for finding it! Fixed in b113. The tree will not update automatically (I'm saving that for later) but if you collapse and expand the node or refresh the page the deleted file will be gone. The table does update automatically in up to 3 seconds.
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 18:34 The table does update automatically in up to 3 seconds.
Updated to b113. Seems to work perfectly now. That was a fast fix!
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 18:34 The tree will not update automatically (I'm saving that for later)
And later is build 122. As with the table the tree will refresh up to 3 seconds after the file has been deleted, and should preserve the expanded state.
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 20:47 And later is build 122. As with the table the tree will refresh up to 3 seconds after the file has been deleted, and should preserve the expanded state.
Up and running. It does a one-time refresh right after the tree is loaded? Should do the job. Great work.