Bug, maybe?

Issues about Susimail
hammer

Bug, maybe?

Post by hammer »

Hello everybody;

I am using SusiMail, and have a bounch of emails in there. When I Delete them, it confirms those messages are deleted from my in-box. But when I login again, I see everyhting is sitting right there! All the emails I supposedly "deleted".

I tried to figure out what the bug is, try deleting them one by one, moving them to Trash then delete them, nothing works. When I login, everything is right there once again! :)

How can we fix this?

Thank you.
-- Hammer. :geek:
kpe1714

Re: Bug, maybe?

Post by kpe1714 »

I am having the same problem. I am running 0.9.36, soon to move to 0.9.37.
hammer

Post by hammer »

The bug still exist after upgrading to 0.9.37.

help, somebody! :(
anonymousmaybe

Post by anonymousmaybe »

hammer wrote: 14 Oct 2018 20:31 The bug still exist after upgrading to 0.9.37.

help, somebody! :(
better not to depend on susimail server. better to use POP3 service through Thunderbird.

(Although i have tried to connect to it in the past, i havent succeeded doing that. But maybe u can do it)
echelon

Post by echelon »

Hi!

Ok, lets get it a bit more clear:
- the server is postmans email server, split in 3 parts:
- smtp for sending mail
- IMAP and
- POP for fetching/reading mail, stroing them on the server

SusiMail is just a little java app for sending and reading mails in the browser using postmans server (although it can be used for other services, to).

With the async fetching mails within the susimail app, it displayes the last state before it was closed. And it shows a information in upper left corner to "reload view to see latest changes" or alike.
So this is not really a bug, just a cache issue for somewhat useabilty, or maybe a not well done feature.

Yes, it shows old mails, as this was the last state it has seen that email folder from server, but in background it fetches the recent updates, you need to reload the webpage or wait until that background process has been finished to see latest state of email (as seen on postman servers).

(other solution would be not showing any mail, just a notice "fetching mail, please wait" until recent upodates were fetched)

echelon
hammer

Post by hammer »

OK, Found the Bug! :geek:

The issue with old emails, remaining in the box even if you delete them, only accures if one uses the direct SusiMail address in the browser, i.e. uses http://127.0.0.1:7657/susimail/susimail in the URL to go to the box.

If you use the email link from the Console, i.e. going to the address http://127.0.0.1:7657/webmail then everything will work and if you delete any email, it will actually work.

So, maybe this helps with the debiging of this issue hopefully.

Best;
-- Hammer.
kpe1714

Post by kpe1714 »

Hello, @echelon. In my case, I can see that deleting an email removes the files from .i2p/susimail/cache/<acct-cache-dir>/cur.

However, if I log out and log back in, the files get put back. Is there any way that I can check whether the files are really being cleared from the server? Will susimail log to .i2p/logs?
kpe1714

Post by kpe1714 »

hammer wrote: 19 Oct 2018 12:55 OK, Found the Bug! :geek:

The issue with old emails, remaining in the box even if you delete them, only accures if one uses the direct SusiMail address in the browser, i.e. uses http://127.0.0.1:7657/susimail/susimail in the URL to go to the box.

If you use the email link from the Console, i.e. going to the address http://127.0.0.1:7657/webmail then everything will work and if you delete any email, it will actually work.
Doesn't help me. I work off of the link in the console and it still restores deleted messages when I log out and back in.
kpe1714

Post by kpe1714 »

More data - if I delete messages through Susimail, then log out and go away for a few days, when I next check mail things are clear. Appears to be some sort of time-based stickiness.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

The problem can be avoided by using an external program to fetch the e-mails, which forwards the mails directly to your normal e-mail system, which of course must be present. An example for $Linux would be "fetchmail", the program fetches the mails and sends the delete command if successful. Sample configuration, save under ~/.fetchmailrc-USER.i2p (by "USER" we mean the e-mail address, the part before the @)

Code: Select all

poll 127.0.0.1 port 7660 protocol pop3 
     user "USER" password "PASSWORD"	
     fetchall sslproto ""
The manual call then looks like this:

Code: Select all

fetchmail -vv -f ~/.fetchmailrc-USER.i2p
If everything works fine, the call can be made automatically via "cron".

Another advantage is that the mails remain permanently in your own e-mail administration.
Spring https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF-q-IGQQb1uK7fYuaQiRpcORDSmfsY2n