Logging into Susimail from another router?

Issues about Susimail
Bob

Logging into Susimail from another router?

Post by Bob »

Greetings, my first question here. I setup a mail.i2p email account from my home desktop and can access Susimail from there just fine. I also have a headless server, and was thinking about being able to ssh to it and link its i2p router port to access Susimail remotely. However I tried, that and while I was able log into Susimail my inbox was empty while I do have an email in there when logging in from my desktop. So is it not possible to see email when logging into Susimail from a different router than the one the email account was created on?

-Bob
echelon

Re: Logging into Susimail from another router?

Post by echelon »

Hi

No, it shoudl work fine from remote (via SSH or direct should not care at all).
Did you refresh the page?
New susimail needs a refresh of page after a bit.

echelon
Bob

Post by Bob »

OK I figured out my error, and also understand better what Susimail is actually doing. You need to forward two ports when logging in remotely via ssh for susimail to work, like so:

ssh -L 7657:localhost:7657 -L 7660:localhost:7660 user@server

This is because you are using both the router console and the mail pop ports. (also the pop client tunnel must be running)

So this brings me to why this was confusing- when you press the login button to Susimail, you actually aren't really logging into your mail. Susimail just takes this info, presents you with an email interface, THEN tries to connect to your mail account. You can actually try to login with any user name and password, it will bring you to the mail interface, then fail to connect via pop. Watch the status messages on the bottom of the screen. So I thought I was logging in to my email with Susimail and not seeing my emails, but in reality it was just Susimail presenting the mail interface before completing any syncing with the mail server.

So anyway, goal accomplished, you can remote into a headless server to retrieve i2p mail.
juliank

Post by juliank »

Hi Bob, I doubt that you'll get this response two years later but if you do, and for anyone else, I agree that it's not immediately clear what is actually going on. To remedy this, I'm proposing a UI improvement, basically better positioned and mildly animated pane to help make Susimail more intuitive.

Feel free to head over there to add your feedback, thoughts, etc.