Feature Requests

The MuWire file sharing application
B0B

Re: Feature Requests

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 22 Mar 2020 21:35 build 98 is out with your blue24x24 set. Looking great, thanks again!
You're welcome.

On build 98 right now. The icons look like expected so it's o.k. Maybe the "Shared Files" one would be better if the "lines" were not connected to the "rectangle". Too late now :-)

Let me know if you need a new one for a feature which doesn't exist yet.

edit:
almost forgot to ask... what exactly does the "Search extra hop" setting do?
And also, is it possible to extract the MuWire build# and list it on the "MuStatus" screen?
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

B0B wrote: 22 Mar 2020 22:11 Narrow the browser and you'll see (build 94).
Try build 101, I poked around and got rid of that effect. The text-overflow:ellipsis was breaking because there was no overflow:hidden in a css file copy-pasted from bote.
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

B0B wrote: 22 Mar 2020 22:48 almost forgot to ask... what exactly does the "Search extra hop" setting do?
By default queries travel 2 hops. However, if a user enables "trusted-only" mode where they only connect to users marked as Trusted, then queries travel only one hop to prevent them reaching someone who may not be trusted. Enabling "search extra hop" overrides that behavior to the normal non-trusted-only way. If "Trusted Only" is not enabled, this setting has no effect.
B0B wrote: 22 Mar 2020 22:48 And also, is it possible to extract the MuWire build# and list it on the "MuStatus" screen?
Good idea will look into it
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 22 Mar 2020 23:11 The text-overflow:ellipsis was breaking because there was no overflow:hidden in a css file copy-pasted from bote.
That's the risk of copying CCS rules :-) I guess you'll need to weed out a lot of CSS rules after a while. Many of them are obsolete by now.

Build 101 looks much better but it wouldn't hurt to also add a "min-width:" or similar. When the screen gets too small the sender-info almost disappears while the other info keeps visible. No overlapping though so it does function as-is.
zlatinb wrote: 22 Mar 2020 23:16 If "Trusted Only" is not enabled, this setting has no effect.
Good to know. Thanks for the explanation.
zlatinb wrote: 22 Mar 2020 23:16
B0B wrote: 22 Mar 2020 22:48 extract the MuWire build# and list it on the "MuStatus" screen?
Good idea will look into it
It's by far a vital thing but sometimes you just want to know :-)
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

B0B wrote: 22 Mar 2020 23:49
Build 101 looks much better but it wouldn't hurt to also add a "min-width:" or similar. When the screen gets too small the sender-info almost disappears while the other info keeps visible. No overlapping though so it does function as-is.
Unfortunately 101 broke the hover "Actions" menu in the files table. For now I'll revert the change just for that table, which means the difficult to read effect will be back, until I come up with a better overall solution.
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 00:32 Unfortunately 101 broke the hover "Actions" menu in the files table.
O.k, you already found out, like I did a few minutes ago. Oh well, just a minor issue.

edit:
This may be a one-time issue, but after the build 104 update my "Shared Files" list was empty and the I2P console showed "RAM: 288 / 288 MiB". Usually it's something around "RAM: 260 / 288 MiB". May have something to do with the large amount of forced plug-in updates, don't know, but I restarted the service and everything looks normal again.
Last edited by B0B on 23 Mar 2020 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

B0B wrote: 23 Mar 2020 00:37 This may be a one-time issue, but after the build 104 update my "Shared Files" list was empty and the I2P console showed "RAM: 288 / 288 MiB". Usually it's something around "RAM: 260 / 288 MiB". May have something to do with the large amount of forced plug-in updates, don't know, but I restarted the service and everything looks normal again.
It's possible. The plugin management code does some stuff with classloaders which I suspect doesn't always clean up after itself. If the memory is pegged at max then the java process will likely go into a garbage collection death spiral and only a restart of the entire i2p router can help.

Let me know if this happens again and I'll bring it up with zzz.
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 01:15 If the memory is pegged at max then the java process will likely go into a garbage collection death spiral and only a restart of the entire i2p router can help.

Let me know if this happens again and I'll bring it up with zzz.
Something is going on as it's jumps back and forth between "RAM: 255 / 288 MiB" and "RAM: 287 / 288 MiB". Never saw it going that high before.

The garbage collection always seems to be a thing. My I2P runs in a Java 13 VM but I also run Freenet in a Java 8 VM and that's a real annoyance. It's scheduled to restart 4 times a day just to reset that garbage collector otherwise it runs out of heap memory.
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

B0B wrote: 22 Mar 2020 22:48 extract the MuWire build# and list it on the "MuStatus" screen?

Done in b109; also a quick hack to make the hover menu visible in the files table when there are very few files shared. Still unclear how I'm going to solve this for good.
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 23 Mar 2020 08:03 Done in b109; also a quick hack to make the hover menu visible in the files table when there are very few files shared. Still unclear how I'm going to solve this for good.
MuStatus was already useful. I'm at b112 now as it seems! :-)

Shared Files table... what you also can do is adding 5 invisible bogus lines at the bottom of the list. That's more or less the same as you do now with the difference that the extra space is there to begin with so the Y-scrollbar won't shrink/expand.

Some of the 5 empty lines can also be misused to list things like the amount of shared files and the combined size of it.

An unrelated strange thing is that I don't get any uploads anymore. Search/Download works but didn't get a single upload in the passed 13 hours, which is remarkable at least. "Shared files" shows them as usual and MuStatus shows 28/64 In/Out-connections and 165 known hosts right now so nothing weird over there.

And another question... Does MuWire check for newly added files to the "shared files" folder? Like, if I add a file by hand, will it be shared as well? If so, when? Does is poll for updates every now and then or only at start-up? If polling is scheduled, can the values be altered somewhere? MuWire needs a FAQ :lol:

edit:
Got a "Version 20" update notification with a "ReStart" request. Gonna take advantage of it by rebooting my system.