Feature Requests

The MuWire file sharing application
robabok978

Re: Feature Requests

Post by robabok978 »

What do you think about the ability for muwire to watch for muwire-hashes copied to the clipboard and automatic download?
Like in JDownloader.
So i can browse and can easily add/download files i want to download to/with muwire.

Thanks
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

robabok978 wrote: 07 Mar 2022 23:05 What do you think about the ability for muwire to watch for muwire-hashes copied to the clipboard and automatic download?
I think the right thing to do is to come up with a URI scheme like magnet links for bittorrent/ed2k. Then if a site with such links exists just clicking on the link will automatically start the download in MuWire. I still haven't fleshed out all the details though, so I don't expect this to happen soon.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

The change of the incoming directory (download settings) is accompanied by the following:

- MuWire must be restarted in order for the new directory to be visibly accepted by the user.
- All files in this directory, even if they have already been moved to the new directory, are no longer present in MuWire.

The simplest solution would be to point out to the user that this is the way it is currently intended.
Spring https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF-q-IGQQb1uK7fYuaQiRpcORDSmfsY2n
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

Content Control Panel: A button to edit the rules afterwards would be nice.
(With the changeover, the old names of the rules were destroyed. Nobody knows what is behind them.)
Dr.Doom

Post by Dr.Doom »

Muwire is doing better and better. It is a pleasure to work with the program. Many thanks to the developer.

I have a small suggestion for improvement...:)

A double click on a desired file from the search, loads it directly, without extra opening the download center.

This would make it much faster to select individual files for download and not always have to go back from the download window to the search window.

Until now, if you select a file from the search to download, you have to select the download extra from the menu and then you are thrown into the download window.

You then have to constantly switch between the search menu and the download menu when you want to download multiple files. A double click to load a file and without having to leave the search directory makes the work with MuWire even faster.

I use MuWire-0.8.12-beta6 separately.

Thanks for MuWire and the improvements.
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

Thanks for the kind words :)
Dr.Doom wrote: 14 Mar 2022 00:22 A double click on a desired file from the search, loads it directly, without extra opening the download center.
That is easy to do but there are some caveats to it. It would be a gui setting like "Switch tabs on actions" checkbox which would apply to all actions - i.e. starting a new search switching to the Searches tab and a few other such use cases would be affected. Also, the search window refresh every 500ms so it may not be immediately visible that a download has started. I'll give it a try and see if it looks good.
Dr.Doom

Post by Dr.Doom »

zlatinb wrote: 14 Mar 2022 01:07
That is easy to do but there are some caveats to it. It would be a gui setting like "Switch tabs on actions" checkbox which would apply to all actions - i.e. starting a new search switching to the Searches tab and a few other such use cases would be affected. Also, the search window refresh every 500ms so it may not be immediately visible that a download has started. I'll give it a try and see if it looks good.
Thank you for your great work.

With RetroShare, GnuNet, eMule, iMule, LimeWire, BearShare, Morpheus, FrostWire and Kazaa it also works quite well with the double kick and to get searched files quickly in the download display without having to change the display window.
Perhaps it is also habit, because with almost all networks can be started in this way download ;)

I am excited to see what they improve in the upcoming MuWire version and I am very happy to be able to use their software.

best greetings :)
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

Possibly for the manual: moving directories and files already included in MuWires Library. I describe my observation, which of course can not take into account the actual source code or make any claim to correctness, a P2P service just.

The following scenario: MuWire (beta6) is shut down, already indexed directories and files are moved to another location with an external file manager. If MuWire is started afterwards, its library is empty, as expected, at least what the GUI shows the user. Internally, however, the previously indexed file descriptions are retained (see ~/.config/MuWire/files/). If the user now drags the same directories and files from the new location to the library something unexpected happens, it seems as if the operation failed, because the list remains largely empty. At this point MuWire must be stopped and restarted. After that, the data from the new location is displayed and everything shines as before.
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

lgillis wrote: 16 Mar 2022 19:11 The following scenario: MuWire (beta6) is shut down, already indexed directories and files are moved to another location with an external file manager. If MuWire is started afterwards, its library is empty, as expected, at least what the GUI shows the user. Internally, however, the previously indexed file descriptions are retained (see ~/.config/MuWire/files/). If the user now drags the same directories and files from the new location to the library something unexpected happens, it seems as if the operation failed, because the list remains largely empty. At this point MuWire must be stopped and restarted. After that, the data from the new location is displayed and everything shines as before.
Yes that's what would happen now. In reality the indexes are going to be deleted if the files are not found in their expected position, but that process happens in the background and if the library is large it can take a long time (several minutes).

In general, (and I really need to write a user guide about this) MuWire does not like it if files or directories change while they're being shared. Ideally if the user needs to modify the file system using an external file manager then they should un-share the files first through the GUI. MuWire does a best-effort attempt to do sanity checks when loading the library, but that can only do so much.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

zlatinb wrote: 16 Mar 2022 22:05 In general, (and I really need to write a user guide about this) MuWire does not like it if files or directories change while they're being shared. Ideally if the user needs to modify the file system using an external file manager then they should un-share the files first through the GUI. […]
In this other major file-sharing device, you'll find the ability to rename and move files and directories, as well as search for them elsewhere and include existing ones. In the long run, this would probably be the more convenient way for users, which at the same time suggests control over the data and thus security.