Feature Requests

The MuWire file sharing application
zlatinb

Re: Feature Requests

Post by zlatinb »

lgillis wrote: 17 Mar 2022 11:25 ... ability to rename and move files and directories ...
I get asked for such features every now and then, and my answer is always the same: the risk that a bug in my code will damage someone's library is too great for my liking. MuWire accesses shared files in read-only manner and only writes inside its settings directory and in the download & incomplete folders.
robabok978

Post by robabok978 »

Hi,
I am still uncertain how to use the discription. I would like to use it to let my search be more specific and give the downloader more structured information.
Lets say i want to search not for a filename, instead i would like search for and inside information about the movie.
Like the actor, date etc. I know i can use imdb, but what about using the 32kb. It seems to me like an empty paper to fill in the right way. So i thought about a specifc opcode/tag for organizing the information, present it better for the user and get some additional features. To organize in tabs i can write:
«NameTAB«:
Textfield
End ...
Or i could add tabs, name and fill them in the create decription process.

For example when i then open the description of the file i see the information in TABs and i can click thru the named tabs to find the information i would like. Even a preview could be possible, not in MuWire itself, instead in the preview tab field is the hash of files, i can click to download. Like preview jpg, Screenshot..

Or a tag/tab for source like origin: archive.org link

Some name of tabs could be standardized and choose as default like preview, source, additionalTags while creating desriptions.

One other usecase would the use of the description to group files. Let's say people of a thread want to group their files to a specific thread on a forum. They could use a hash in the discription to search only for files of this thread. When you find a file you can easyily can find other files. Like a tagHash. Thinkable as a real hash, a string of threadlink or even unspecific with a tag #coldweatherbyFlying as one string. Thats all possible if a search can be restricted to descrption and more specific to tabs/fields in the description, i think.

Search only for/inside descriptions or more specific inside its specific tabs seems necessary for me to archieve that and to avoid that long natural texts inside the description will trigger to many unrelated search results.

Thanks
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

The developer is currently on well-deserved vacation, or so. The answers take accordingly, a little patience is required. If you have no direct "feature requests", but are looking for information or want to exchange information with other participants, you can and will open a separate topic.
Spring https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF-q-IGQQb1uK7fYuaQiRpcORDSmfsY2n
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

robabok978 wrote: 09 May 2022 23:12 I am still uncertain how to use the discription. I would like to use it to let my search be more specific and give the downloader more structured information.
I've been reluctant to specialize MuWire for one or another type of content. I like to keep it a generic tool that is agnostic of the file type.

It might be possible to add content-specific search functionality as a plugin, assuming I ever get around to building plugin support. Other than that your idea is technically possible.
robabok978

Post by robabok978 »

Hello zlatinb,

maybe we misunderstood.
I thought about using the text in the discription like with html

For example

<type>
video
</type>

<category>
movie
</category>

<genre>
action
</genre>

<year>
</year>

<source>
archive.org
</source>

and i can search like this:

type:video AND category:movie AND source:"archive.org"

When i would open up the description in muwire i can imagine to use the tags for tab viewing the information.
B0B

Post by B0B »

Hello Zlatin,

I turned away from I2P a while ago so no more MuWire plugin. It's the standalone version now (v0.8.13-beta1) with I2Pdaemon as external router. Works great but noticed some minor strange behavior.

* MuWire does show a box when the connection goes down. One has to click "OK" to make the message box go away. A problem arises if I temporary close down I2Pdaemon. Those "connection lost" box' endlessly keep appearing and MuWire is unable to detect the new connection after a I2Pd router restart. Only way to get out that loop is to also restart MuWire.

It may be an idea to check if a "connection lost" box already exists before opening a new one. Add to that closing the box automatically if the connection has been re-detected without having to press the "OK" button. Or even more informative: change the text in the box to something like "connection is back up again" and close it after xx-seconds so one has a clue what happened. All of this in addition to the existing "OK" button.

* The "System Status" box has a tiny cosmetic issue. When selected it shows what you would expect but after pressing "refresh" the size of the message box changes a little. Like the font spacing suddenly increases or something like that (using HiFi theme and Arial font). It only happens during the first refresh. Not like it keeps growing at multiple refreshes.

* About the "Automatically clear finished uploads" option. It would be nice if there was an option to only list the most recent uploads and only clear the oldest ones (rotating list). The list gets very long after a few days and disabling it would be a pity.

Another possible way is to do it the "WinMX" way. Each upload will automatically be removed after xx-seconds. Same system could be used for downloaded files. I don't need it myself but someone else may and I imagine if such thing would be done for uploads it's no big effort anymore to do it for downloads too.
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

Hey B0B, welcome back!

Yes the plugin has seriously fallen behind on features and I'm focusing almost exclusively on the desktop client. You should give the latest beta a try (0.8.13-beta2) or even better grab a CI build from https://github.com/zlatinb/muwire/actio ... 2440320322 where I've fixed issues with avatars not showing correctly and with window resizing. Now onto the issues you list:
B0B wrote: 04 Jun 2022 13:48 * MuWire does show a box when the connection goes down. One has to click "OK" to make the message box go away. A problem arises if I temporary close down I2Pdaemon. Those "connection lost" box' endlessly keep appearing and MuWire is unable to detect the new connection after a I2Pd router restart. Only way to get out that loop is to also restart MuWire.

It may be an idea to check if a "connection lost" box already exists before opening a new one. Add to that closing the box automatically if the connection has been re-detected without having to press the "OK" button. Or even more informative: change the text in the box to something like "connection is back up again" and close it after xx-seconds so one has a clue what happened. All of this in addition to the existing "OK" button.
I haven't tested the automatic reconnection logic with I2Pd but it works ok with a java router. There is also a bug in the I2P core library that is fixed in the latest beta that would cause MuWire to go into an endless reconnect loop (reported to happen with I2Pd). Having said that I agree the box can be annoying and needs to have a "don't show this message again" option at the very least. Time permitting, I'll try to fix soon.
* The "System Status" box has a tiny cosmetic issue. When selected it shows what you would expect but after pressing "refresh" the size of the message box changes a little. Like the font spacing suddenly increases or something like that (using HiFi theme and Arial font). It only happens during the first refresh. Not like it keeps growing at multiple refreshes.
This is probably due to font size changing as the values change. The simplest thing to do would be to enforce a minimum window size, so most likely that's what I will do.
* About the "Automatically clear finished uploads" option. It would be nice if there was an option to only list the most recent uploads and only clear the oldest ones (rotating list). The list gets very long after a few days and disabling it would be a pity.

Another possible way is to do it the "WinMX" way. Each upload will automatically be removed after xx-seconds. Same system could be used for downloaded files. I don't need it myself but someone else may and I imagine if such thing would be done for uploads it's no big effort anymore to do it for downloads too.
I see the point here and may do one of the two options for uploads. For downloads however I don't think it's a good idea - wouldn't you always want to know how your old downloads are doing?

Take care,
Zlatin
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 Yes the plugin has seriously fallen behind on features and I'm focusing almost exclusively on the desktop client.
To be honest... is it worth the effort to maintain both versions? I mean, the stand-alone version seems to work well with external routers and is easier to work with if one asks me. The GUI usually is also a little quicker.
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 You should give the latest beta a try (0.8.13-beta2)
Just downloaded it but haven't installed it yet
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 I haven't tested the automatic reconnection logic with I2Pd but it works ok with a java router.
Does it also work correctly when not just stopping/starting the service but completely remove and re-load the java router? It won't in my case (i2pd) with beta1.
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 There is also a bug in the I2P core library that is fixed in the latest beta that would cause MuWire to go into an endless reconnect loop (reported to happen with I2Pd).
When it happens it visually looks like it's stuck in a reconnect loop but it actually reconnected just fine. Problem is that the GUI is nearly inaccessible because of the priority from the overlayed "connection lost" box. Or better, a lot of boxes as new ones will be created every xx-seconds.
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 Having said that I agree the box can be annoying and needs to have a "don't show this message again" option at the very least.
"Don't show" maybe isn't the right solution for everyone. Allowing max. one instance would be the most helpful and an (optional?) auto-close feature would be just nice. Maybe a fancy count-down number for the "OK" button is possible?
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 The simplest thing to do would be to enforce a minimum window size, so most likely that's what I will do.
What's funny is that it happens with the "System status" box but not with the "MuWire status" one, which is very similar.
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 I see the point here and may do one of the two options for uploads. For downloads however I don't think it's a good idea - wouldn't you always want to know how your old downloads are doing?
Actually, no. I don't care about the "status" of my downloads once they're completed but others may think differently about this :-) With clearing the download list I mean only the finished files. Running and unfinished downloads should be kept visible I think.

As for uploads... now I think of it... is it actually possible at all to know if a user finished his download or not? The fact that he started it from user-X say's nothing about the remaining parts, which he can get from user-Y and/or user-Z.

A rotating list is probably tougher as I thought it would be. Maybe just removing it from the list when inactive for xx-minutes is the better solution and re-add it in the case the uploads continues.
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

B0B wrote: 05 Jun 2022 08:19
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 Yes the plugin has seriously fallen behind on features and I'm focusing almost exclusively on the desktop client.
To be honest... is it worth the effort to maintain both versions? I mean, the stand-alone version seems to work well with external routers and is easier to work with if one asks me. The GUI usually is also a little quicker.
Well both have their use cases, so it's a matter of available resources. Virtually all of the javascript in the plugin needs to be rewritten in order to enable a strict CSP policy and I just don't have the time for that. But if someone wants to help, I won't stop them!
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 There is also a bug in the I2P core library that is fixed in the latest beta that would cause MuWire to go into an endless reconnect loop (reported to happen with I2Pd).
When it happens it visually looks like it's stuck in a reconnect loop but it actually reconnected just fine. Problem is that the GUI is nearly inaccessible because of the priority from the overlayed "connection lost" box. Or better, a lot of boxes as new ones will be created every xx-seconds.
That's exactly the bug that is supposed to be fixed in beta2. If it isn't, I'll have to investigate deeper. Please let me know if it's still happening.
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 I see the point here and may do one of the two options for uploads. For downloads however I don't think it's a good idea - wouldn't you always want to know how your old downloads are doing?
Actually, no. I don't care about the "status" of my downloads once they're completed but others may think differently about this :-) With clearing the download list I mean only the finished files. Running and unfinished downloads should be kept visible I think.
There is an "Automatically clear finished downloads" option, is that not behaving the way you want?
As for uploads... now I think of it... is it actually possible at all to know if a user finished his download or not? The fact that he started it from user-X say's nothing about the remaining parts, which he can get from user-Y and/or user-Z.
If the downloader is still connected to the uploader when it finishes the upload, it will send a notification that they have finished the download. But if they have disconnected already, they're not going to reconnect just for the notification.
B0B

Post by B0B »

zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 That's exactly the bug that is supposed to be fixed in beta2. If it isn't, I'll have to investigate deeper. Please let me know if it's still happening.
It looks like it has been solved. I noticed only a single box after the connection apparently was temporary lost on one of the last few days. At that time MuWire was just connected and a single click was enough to close the box.
zlatinb wrote: 04 Jun 2022 17:44 There is an "Automatically clear finished downloads" option, is that not behaving the way you want?
It does exactly what is says but it would be nice if they'd be cleared after some xxx-minutes in stead of right after completion. Just a minor thing and only relevant if the upload-list would also behave like this because then the code is in there anyways.

EDIT:
The lost connection box issue seems still to be there (0.8.13beta3). My system starts up with an autorun manager to delay the programs I use to be sure they start in the right order. MuWire starts up 1m:25s after I2Pd has been loaded. For an unknown reason I2Pd didn't connect and after a while plenty of lost connection box' were stacked on top of each other so had to kill MuWire in taskmanager to make it go away.

EDIT 2:
Another small thingy... After having downloaded and installed a MuWire update (with MuWire itself) the "saved tabs" box keeps appearing with a "restore session" option. No matter what I choose, it always returns after a MuWire restart.