Feature Requests

The MuWire file sharing application
zlatinb

Re: Feature Requests

Post by zlatinb »

arowana wrote: 08 Nov 2019 08:01 It would be similar, and I understand how you think. I like the new layout. However, with a file centric view I would be able to see what files are shared by many and would be fast-ish to download. Keep the one you have as default, but with an option to switch. If you notice a node misbehaving, you can always switch back. Or mark them as bad.
Ok then, I'll see about adding file-centric option.
Also, I'm stuck on 0.5.5 because I can't understand how to start the new versions. Nothing happens when I hit the bat-file and I can't be arsed to debug it to find out what's wrong for me. ;-)
Sorry to hear, I messed up the scripts of 0.5.6 maybe that's why the .bat file doesn't work. If you prefer the old single-jar package, I have it available on http://muwire.i2p or on MuWire itself with hash YoD9DsuzrLhd6Kb9UV7XWbStBe2q6nYNUXXPm1sokhs= . I didn't think anyone would want that on windows so I compressed it with bunzip2, but iirc winrar supports that. After you bunzip it, you need to run

Code: Select all

unpack200 MuWire-0.5.9.jar.pack MuWire-0.5.9.jar

and then you will have a single-jar installation.
arowana

Post by arowana »

Honestly I wouldn't mind running the default version as I don't seem to have unpack200 installed.

What can or should I do to get that version running?
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

Can you get the latest 0.5.9? That should have the .bat file fixed. It's available on http://muwire.i2p and on clearnet https://muwire.com and on postman's tracker too.
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

Added a file-centric option in 0.5.10. Please try it and let me know what you think.
arowana

Post by arowana »

Just noticed that I'm on Java8. That means I can't run later versions I assume?
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

Right, I'm building on Java11 now. Can you upgrade to 11? It's available at https://adoptopenjdk.net
Crypton

Post by Crypton »

Hi, i'm new to MuWire and I really like it :D
I'm using the stand-alone client (AppImage).

I have some feature requests:

- A network tab to see a list of connected peers.
- In download screen (when clicking a file that is downloading) showing the peers where we're downloading from.
- Showing bitrates of music files in search results.
- Showing the number of search results at the search tab.
- A chat tab that shows all online chatrooms that are online (from all people that created chatrooms)
- A "What's new" option (like Phex has) that shows the latest available files at the network.
- Dark theme.

Btw. Where stands 'Mu' for?

MuWire is a great program, I hope more users gonna use MuWire in near future.
Dear people, please share stuff and keep running your MuWire :D
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

Hi,

the Mu stands for "micro".

I encourage you to try the plugin version because it has a much different and I think better UX. In fact, I'm considering focusing on the mostly on the plugin in the future. The standalone GUI was put together quickly just to get the technology out of the door. I don't really plan on adding fancy features to it or making it look good. Of course, if someone wants to contribute I'm happy to keep it up-to-date.

I'm even thinking of using technology like Electron to make a standalone version with plugin-like web UI, but that's further down the line.
Crypton

Post by Crypton »

Thanks for your reply @zlatinb

To make MuWire (and anonymous filesharing) more popular I think a standalone version would be important.
Just install, run and it works... and it is not needed to open an extra browser for it.

A standalone version using Electron technology would be fine too.

I'm not a coder so unfortunately I can't contribute but I hope others can.

I'm happy anyway to see a anonymous P2P client (MuWire) with an active developer :)
B0B

Post by B0B »

Request to make mapped network drives work with assigned device-ID.

Like:
NET USE X: \\MyNas4 /PERSISTENT:YES works in Win10 as it should.

In MuWire settings:

Using \\MyNAS4\MyDownloads works.
Using X:\MyDownloads returns an error (refuses to save settings)

Interestingly, when directly editing MuWire.properties and put downloadLocation=\\\\Q:\\MyDownloads in it just works. Issue is that one can't save edited settings anymore in MuWire itself because of the "save" error.

Another thing: "Browse" returns this error after a string is entered:

HTTP ERROR 403

Problem accessing /MuWire/Browse. Reason:

Bad param

(Win 10, Java SE Runtime Environment 13.0.2+8, I2P 0.9.45-0, I2Speed, MuWire0.6.11 Plug-in (and earlier versions))

Bob