Short Tip: Use MuWire for Blogging

The MuWire file sharing application
lgillis

Short Tip: Use MuWire for Blogging

Post by lgillis »

MuWire can be used fairly easily for daily posts or even commentary on the politics of the day. An example to clarify. Within our MuWire distribution directory, we create a corresponding folder, let's call it "My Blog" for simplicity's sake. Within this folder we can now insert our articles of the day. So that the articles are also found, they should receive meaningful names, as for example: "2022-01-05 Why I do not switch off I2P during the pandemic.txt". This way we already have a date and meaningful keywords, "I2P" and "pandemic". Depending on the file system and language, we have up to 250 characters for the title alone, so you can include some keywords.

If this text file is not too large, i.e. 32 kilobytes or less, a hard link can be used as a sidecar file. Of course, this requires a file system that supports these links. This would look like this in our example, the original extension remains and is supplemented by the new extension "mwcomment":

ln -v "2022-01-05 Why I do not switch off I2P during the pandemic.txt" "2022-01-05 Why I do not switch off I2P during the pandemic.txt.mwcomment"

Thus, the entire article is used for keywording. In addition, further keywords can be included in the article, for example synonyms that are not yet present in the actual text. (You will certainly find literature on sensible keywording by doing a little research).

The updating of the files is currently not yet fully developed, but I firmly believe that a completely satisfactory solution will be found here as well. Until then, the article can be updated by using a file manager to take it and its sidecar out of the distribution directory and later, after the article has been added, put it back into the distribution. MuWire's comment function can be used to merely check if the articles have been updated. There is also nothing wrong with creating several articles of the day instead of squeezing everything into one file one after the other.

This may sound a bit cumbersome, but you can also automate some of this and there are editors from which you can export directly to the distribution directory.

This short train of thought should only serve as a cue. I am sure you will find other and more thoughtful solutions. And get in touch even if I have written nonsense here ...
Spring https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF-q-IGQQb1uK7fYuaQiRpcORDSmfsY2n
zlatinb

Re: Short Tip: Use MuWire for Blogging

Post by zlatinb »

Hi,

This is an interesting use case, but I don't think MuWire is the best tool for such a job. The search function is tailored towards file names and short comments.

Having said that, it is theoretically possible to use the "Lucene" library and index the contents of .txt, .pdf, word files and have a much more powerful search tailored towards documents and their contents. The only problem is that Lucene adds about 80MB to the download size so I'm not going to do it, or if I do it it will be a different product which can operate on the MuWire network.

A smaller amount of work is support for regular expression search. That can be done without adding any but there are few design problems that need to be solved there as well, like potential for ddos. Regular expressions are much more CPU-intensive than the current keyword/phrase search algorithm, and searching big libraries will not be efficient at all.

Thanks for the ideas!
zlatinb
zlatinb

Re: Short Tip: Use MuWire for Blogging

Post by zlatinb »

Check my MuWire file feed or search for hash yelZZm3mLarvEfMEEO2eCMVtaeKjPLLajAHJx1Ng4yk=

Idea for feed blog posts by blob2k@pxqzont4att4ggd4y45yeclnh7ijctze. I don't promise it will happen soon because it's a lot of work, but it would be much better suited for blogging. Maybe markdown will be supported if I can make it privacy-safe.