Feature Requests

The MuWire file sharing application
lgillis

Re: Feature Requests

Post by lgillis »

Git Repositories

I find the many scattered Git repositories confusing, especially since some of it doesn't work, so at least with my usual web browser Firefox 94.

Managing the many open sites takes time that a single developer has to save elsewhere. Therefore, my appeal is, if this is not already done, to designate one Git repository as the developer repository and to mark all others with a short note as not current and to refer via link to the current developer repository.

And then I would like to know if there is an actual beta for the end user? One or the other is certainly also curious about the new things that will come … :-)
Spring https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF-q-IGQQb1uK7fYuaQiRpcORDSmfsY2n
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

lgillis wrote: 13 Nov 2021 13:10
I find the many scattered Git repositories confusing, especially since some of it doesn't work, so at least with my usual web browser Firefox 94.
There should be only two repositories - one at the I2P GitLab which is the main one I use for development, and a read-only mirror at GitHub. The syncing is automatic and the GitHub repo should be at most a few minutes behind the GitLab repo. If that's not the case then something is broken.

To clarify here are the URLs:
http://git.idk.i2p/zlatinb/muwire <- in-I2P access for the I2P GitLab repo
https://i2pgit.org/zlatinb/muwire <- clearnet access to the I2P GitLab repo
https://github.com/zlatinb/muwire <- clearnet "read-only" repo

Now, even though the README.md explicitly says 'please open issues on the i2p GItLab repo" most people apparently prefer GitHub. So if you want to open an issue you can use either git instance, I'll see it anyway.

Regarding the browser, if the I2P GitLab repo is not working with Firefox 94, please create a post in the Misc forum so Eyedeekay can see it.
lgillis wrote: And then I would like to know if there is an actual beta for the end user? One or the other is certainly also curious about the new things that will come … :-)
At the moment there is no beta for the end user; it is easy for me to build a .zip distribution of MuWire and put it on the download server and I occasionally do that when I work with users who can't build from source. But building the all-in-one bundles is very time consuming and cannot be automated very well so I do that only for the point releases.

Until a few months ago I used to cut releases every week so there was not much point for a beta. Things have slowed down significantly and now I'm trying to follow the OpenJDK security patch release cycle, which is once every 3 months.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

Good to know, thanks for the quick info. By the way, when I was still new on the Internet, I literally ran after the developers with long explanations when I found discrepancies, today I see it like this: Developers discover obvious errors all by themselves and if not, then it's my hard- or software.
Spring https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF-q-IGQQb1uK7fYuaQiRpcORDSmfsY2n
arowana

Post by arowana »

For collections, put a grid view on it for media files. So if someone were to create a collection of files, say vintage cars, together with a jpeg and a .srt file in the same directory then this would show it in a Netflix kind of way. Then add a way to launch a media player from within muwire.
Click it to mark it for download, and put some indication on it when ready. Then something like a 30 day retention policy for downloaded films to lessen the burden on the creator.

People can then create movie catalogs of their interests and other people can subscribe to whatever interests them.

Good? Bad? Dumb?
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

arowana wrote: 18 Jan 2022 12:01 For collections, put a grid view on it for media files. So if someone were to create a collection of files, say vintage cars, together with a jpeg and a .srt file in the same directory then this would show it in a Netflix kind of way. Then add a way to launch a media player from within muwire.
Click it to mark it for download, and put some indication on it when ready. Then something like a 30 day retention policy for downloaded films to lessen the burden on the creator.

People can then create movie catalogs of their interests and other people can subscribe to whatever interests them.

Good? Bad? Dumb?
It's a great idea, but it's a lot of work. I can tackle bits and pieces of it independently over time:
* media player from within muwire should already work - try right-clicking or double-clicking on a file in the library
* indication when downloads are complete is doable. I'll add it to the TODO list
* Images associated with search results - this is doable and I've started to lay the groundwork for it, but there are some things to be kept in mind. More specifically, the images will have to be fetched as a separate step from receiving the search result. This may not be necessary with collections, as collections are already fetched as a separate step.

With these fragments of work done, some glue code will be required to make it all work together like you envision it.

Thanks for the idea!
arowana

Post by arowana »

Cool.
I hope to see something when it's done then. Nice of you to listen to my crazy ideas.
If done right I think this could be a great addition to muwire.
robabok978

Post by robabok978 »

I don't know if this is doable at the moment, because for sure i don't see all the features of muwire, right now. Maybe it is not necessary or/and can be done by other apps.:

A possibility to download files by collection with a tree structure. Maybe only a HowToBuildTheFileTree.instruction file. Like a hash tree :) Usecase: some default enviroment which is centralized published.This is more or less like bittorrent, so i don't know. Even zip can archieve this, but i somehow don't like that the files i downloaded are flat stored and have lost the structure. A relative path could help

At the moment i have to have one in folder which i want to be repeatedly watched for new content. Is it possible with an empty folder?

In "advanced share" i see my share and watched folderrs + the files. Is it possible to have an option "show only folders" for a better overciew.

An updateable collection. I can define an empty folder/folderstructure and put at times files into it. This would update the collection which is always searchable with the same pattern by clients. Files would come in the uploaders folder, a search every x is done. New files are downloaded by the client. If it would have a tree structure even better. Maybe this is more than can be with torrents.

Some components of the above:
Timed/repeated search for a specific distinct ccollection -> updateable collection
Search query by hashlist txt file. To download a bunch of files -> HowToBuildTheFileTree.instruction file

and by the way: how can i start the muwire with a option to use my external i2prouter and not his internal. Does i have a benefit of using my well network established router or is this after some minutes not so important for muwire?

Thanks
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

robabok978 wrote: 24 Feb 2022 12:36 A possibility to download files by collection with a tree structure. Maybe only a HowToBuildTheFileTree.instruction file. Like a hash tree :) Usecase: some default enviroment which is centralized published.This is more or less like bittorrent, so i don't know. Even zip can archieve this, but i somehow don't like that the files i downloaded are flat stored and have lost the structure. A relative path could help
If you are using a recent (0.8.10 or newer) version of MuWire and the node sending you search results is also using such version, the results already come as a hierarchical tree. If you click on a folder somewhere in the middle of the tree and download it, the downloads will retain the folder structure. Example, you receive "MyShared/folderA/folderB/file.txt" and you click on folderA and download that. Then the file.txt will end up being in your "MuWire Downloads/folderA/folderB/file.txt"
At the moment i have to have one in folder which i want to be repeatedly watched for new content. Is it possible with an empty folder?
Not with an empty folder, but if there is even a single file the folder by default becomes "watched". If you are using the latest beta build from https://muwire.com/beta.html you can right-click on the shared folder and configure how it should be watched.
In "advanced share" i see my share and watched folderrs + the files. Is it possible to have an option "show only folders" for a better overciew.
That menu only shows folders already. But as I said in the latest beta there is a more convenient way of managing what and how you watch folders.
An updateable collection.

Very interesting idea. I like it, although I'm not sure exactly how to go about implementing it. It is a big feature though, so it won't make it until after MuWire 1.0.0 is released (see the roadmap post in this forum)
and by the way: how can i start the muwire with a option to use my external i2prouter and not his internal. Does i have a benefit of using my well network established router or is this after some minutes not so important for muwire?
1. Stop MuWire, wait until it exits completely
2. Go inside $HOME/.config/MuWire (I assume you're on Linux) and edit the file "MuWire.properties". Change the property "embeddedRouter" to "false"
3. If you are using I2Pd, you need to enable the "I2CP" interface. To do that, add the following lines to your $HOME/.i2pd/i2pd.conf file:

Code: Select all

[i2cp]
enabled=true
address=127.0.0.1
port=7654
If you are using Java I2P, by default the interface is already enabled and you don't need to do anything.
4. Restart MuWire. It will either fail to load right away or load very quickly and use your external router.

Thanks
robabok978

Post by robabok978 »

When i look at the libary i see the tree to my shared files or folders from my /home up. This kinda confuse me from which point on in the tree it is shared. I could look in advanced share but maybe it will be possible to color taint the folder name which is the shared folder or the beginning of a shared tree.

Copy the search topic from old search tabs to clipboard, when i want to repeat a search with more parameters.

Collections with a tree structure (I could only do flat collections with no depth)
I hope this will not break anything, but maybe it a possibility for a collection tree : to have collections in a collection :)

Autodownload option/flag in search for 'search by hash'

You mentioned that by downloading a file has/gets information about other sources, otherwise maybe a per file option for "find mor peers" is helpful.

Repeat search after x sc/min. This could make sense for:
finding new results ?
finding more sources for a filtered search ?
autoupdate collections

Some thoughts about autoupdate collections:
The biggest problem couldd be that the hash of the collections is a hash over the hashes of the files. So when they change the hash changes then the file is for muwire not the same anymore. I can't search for the hash repeatly and at the same time it gets filled with more files and still has the same hash. It would only download the old collection and had no clue about another. I hope i not talking trash here, but that's the way i undersstand it.

The collections have disscriptions. We could use the discrption to save a distinct string - a hash. We can search for this hash (maybe explicit in the discription). Let's say we created a collectins with n files. We put in the discription our hash. We search for this hash and get one collection of n files. Now the uploader put new files into his shared folder and creates another collection, maybe same name, but in the discription the same hash as in the collection before. We repaet the search. Now we will get 2 results, because both collections have the same hash in the discription. We have to find out which one is the new somehow. Because i don't think there is some date in the files themselves/search involved. But maybe there is some way or just destroy the old collection. Then download the new one/files automatic.

Maybe this could work.
It is even more thinkable.
This is kind of versioning. If i put in the search hash plus the hash of the collection in the discription , we could do more things. The next collection has the search hash, his own hash and after that the hash of collection before. We could repeat this for every new update (as long as there is space in the discription). first version of the collection is search hash and 1 hash of its own. Latest has search hash + highest number of hash entries of search results. You can even put i a date into it for every hash and the latest one would always had the information abut all his predecessors.

Thank you for your time and thanks for this great program to play with.
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

robabok978 wrote: 25 Feb 2022 19:33 When i look at the libary i see the tree to my shared files or folders from my /home up. This kinda confuse me from which point on in the tree it is shared. I could look in advanced share but maybe it will be possible to color taint the folder name which is the shared folder or the beginning of a shared tree.
Already done in the betas. The next release 0.8.12 will be out mid April, if you don't want to wait grab a beta :D
Copy the search topic from old search tabs to clipboard, when i want to repeat a search with more parameters.
Nice idea, I might do it :)
Collections with a tree structure (I could only do flat collections with no depth)
If the selected files are in different folders the collection will automatically find the closest common ancestor.
I hope this will not break anything, but maybe it a possibility for a collection tree : to have collections in a collection :)
Not at the moment
Autodownload option/flag in search for 'search by hash'
It's easy to do, why not.
You mentioned that by downloading a file has/gets information about other sources, otherwise maybe a per file option for "find mor peers" is helpful.
Repeat search after x sc/min. This could make sense for:
finding new results ?
finding more sources for a filtered search ?
autoupdate collections
This won't happen until after 1.0.0 if it happens at all. I need to think through all the implications carefully, for example network load, anonymity, etc.
Some thoughts about autoupdate collections:
TBH I like the thought but I won't get around to it until after 1.0.0 which could easily be two years away. I"ll keep your recommendations in mind though.
Thank you for your time and thanks for this great program to play with.
Thanks for using it and for your suggestions! I appreciate them.