I2P in Private Browsing Mode for Firefox

eyedeekay

I2P in Private Browsing Mode for Firefox

Post by eyedeekay »

Browsing Configuration has, over time, become a fragmented process with lots of conflicting, often out-of-date, or downright incorrect instructions. It takes more steps than it should, and as browsers adopt more and more features, the configuration required might change in a way that places the user at risk, for instance, WebRTC when introduced ignored user-configured Proxy settings by default. This browser extension seeks to make all other vanilla Firefox browser configuration procedures obsolete, an move I2P use into more natural parts of your browsing process on all platforms. It does that by adding a set of container tabs to Firefox that are configured especially for using I2P applications securely.

Features
  • [done] Provide a way to launch into an I2P-Specific contextual identity (container). Intercept requests to .i2p domains and automatically route them to the I2P container. Isolate the router console from other local applications by automatically intercepting requests to the router console to another container.
  • [done] Indicate the I2P browser is in use visually. Find an acceptable way to indicate it on Android.
  • [done] Set the http proxy to use the local I2P proxy automatically. Provide specific configuration for other types of I2P proxies(SOCKS, isolating HTTP)
  • [done] Disable risky webRTC features/offer the option to re-enable them with the proxy enforced.
  • [done] Change the color of the browser window to indicate that I2P is in use
  • [ready] Provide help in a variety of languages.
  • [done] Monitor the health and readiness of the I2P router it is instructed to use. Currently the plugin checks whether the HTTP Proxy is working by fetching an image from "http://proxy.i2p" and displaying a result. A work-in-progress binding to i2pcontrol is available in ./i2pcontrol, it is inert at this time.
  • [Done] Handle router console applications under their own origins and within their own contextual identity. (1) The router console is automatically confined to it's own container tab. (2) Use a custom protocol handler to place each i2p application/plugin under it's own origin, shortening router console URL's and placing applications under their own origin.
  • [Done] Handle Torrents by talking to i2psnark-rpc plugin and then adding them Firefox drop-down menu for reading downloads.
  • [Started] Indicate the level of authenticity provided by TLS. TLS is optional on I2P for now, but some sites offer it anyway. TLS support is experimental and in the works.
Github
Gitlab