Fast eepsites! How?!!

Misc topics about I2P
aegypius

Fast eepsites! How?!!

Post by aegypius »

Both i2p-projekt.i2p and echelon.i2p are always the most responsive eepsites for me to visit. How are they able to achieve this? Good router integration is assumed, but that can't be the only reason.

Are they just hosted from a great data center near a big backbone pushing X class bandwidth? Are they simply reducing the number of inbound and outbound tunnels server-side to 1 or even 0? Are they multihomed? Is there a perfect balance of overall bandwidth and shared bandwidth (for transit tunnels) that I just don't know about? Excuse me for this walking speculation, but I'm genuinely interested in tips for improving the performance of eepsites without reducing anonymity (much).
echelon

Re: Fast eepsites! How?!!

Post by echelon »

Hi

Ii is simple: just have a reachable I2P router, have it multihomed and set in/out tunnels to only 1 hop, as the clearnet servers are already known. No need to add seperate additional layers.
No need to fancy hardware or bandwidth above default DSL lines.

echelon
aegypius

Post by aegypius »

Useful to know—thank you. But how do you multihome a single router? I understood multihoming as using the same destination keys on several routers.

Also, I assume a serverside tunnel uses the router's non-shared bandwidth (like any normal client application) plus whatever is available from the shared slice for mix traffic, right? So a router tuned for server responsiveness would need to ensure there was enough available bandwidth for expected use while not setting the shared traffic slice so low to compromise the integration and cover of the mix traffic. Am I on the right track?
echelon

Post by echelon »

aegypius wrote: 04 Jun 2020 18:25 Useful to know—thank you. But how do you multihome a single router? I understood multihoming as using the same destination keys on several routers.

Also, I assume a serverside tunnel uses the router's non-shared bandwidth (like any normal client application) plus whatever is available from the shared slice for mix traffic, right? So a router tuned for server responsiveness would need to ensure there was enough available bandwidth for expected use while not setting the shared traffic slice so low to compromise the integration and cover of the mix traffic. Am I on the right track?
You do not multihome on a single router. You may increase number of tunnels to do that job.

Own services (client tunnel) are always preferred over participating tunnels, up to 0 participating traffic. Even with 100% share setting, own services (client tunnels) do get the bandwidth preferred.

echelon
aegypius

Post by aegypius »

For a hidden service, does it ever make sense to increase the number of outbound tunnels but not inbound tunnels? (Or vice-versa?) I appreciate but remain puzzled by some of the granularity the router software gives you.
echelon

Post by echelon »

Hi

depends on the kind of use pattern.
More tunnels = more possible connections.
is usecase is less clients reaching a service, but service distributes to lots of clients, setup is less IN tunnels, more out.
aegypius

Post by aegypius »

I was able to significantly improve the performance of my eepsite because of your help. Thank you!