Getting I2Speed.191206.i2p.0.9.44 to work

Misc topics about I2P
BeaconLilt

Getting I2Speed.191206.i2p.0.9.44 to work

Post by BeaconLilt »

I've been trying to test some different modded I2Ps by different people. I've been talking to the programmer of I2Speed over email but it would be much better to talk over a forum if he is willing. If you don;t know about I2Speed here's a link.

http://532c5r6ra6rcf2mvfgtlcxbn3lpplybw ... a.b32.i2p/

It looks real interesting. Recently I have gotten my I2P to where it only writes to one folder NOT in the C: drive in windows so that I can rapidly test different I2P system mods and rapidly change back to my normal system by using the "portable" options in the wrapper.config file and making a separate I2P copy in another folder.

I recently tried I2Speed.191206.i2p.0.9.44 and...failure. The reason being the java run time, if that's what you call it, that is called for for my WIn7 computer is Java jre-8u231-windows-x64 and I2Speed.191206.i2p.0.9.44 is compiled for a later version.

I hope people compile modified I2P systems for a lower versions of java. After all the people with slower computers are the ones dying the most from I2Ps slow behavior.

Some questions

1. Are the modifications by Zab the same as the modifications in the mods done by Z-Lab and uploaded to postman as magnet files?
2. Do these concern the problem with all the tunnels not being used?
3. Does I2Speed use the mods to use all the tunnels? I didn't see it specifically mentioned on the site.
4. If I2Speed doesn't use the tunnel rotation mod is there any plan to do so?
5. If I2Speed is not going to be, compiled?, with a lower version of java run time where would I find the info to do so?

I want to add I've seen very fast results from I2P but for some reason it eventually slows WAY down and begins to lag. For me right before 0,9,55 was I high point. I was getting consistently good speed downloading torrents and surfing sites. Since then it's very stop and go. Mostly stop. This was talked about here, and other places with no resolve that I can see. Here's a link on the problem.

http://i2pforum.i2p/viewtopic.php?f=12& ... f2ff542f2c
BeaconLilt

Re: Getting I2Speed.191206.i2p.0.9.44 to work

Post by BeaconLilt »

A error above post "For me right before 0,9,55 was I high point." should be "For me right before 0.9.33 was I high point."

I couldn't edit because I2P quit working properly, as usual.

I would like to ask more questions of the I2Speed programmers/programmer.

1. I like the info on Garbage Collection and GraalVM 19.3.0 looks especially interesting. If I download GraalVM 19.3.0, install and put the lines quoted in your site

wrapper.java.additional.**=-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions
wrapper.java.additional.**=-XX:+UseJVMCICompiler # noop if using Graal

will that run the GraalVM? I'm assuming that would solve my java run time version being too low to run I2Speed????

Where exactly do I place the changes to wrapper.config? Towards the top? and do I need to uncomment any other java directions so there is not a conflict on which one is running?

If I get this done how do I check and verify that GraalVM is running and not the standard java (yes that it runs at all is one test but I'm thinking longer term).

I read a little on GraalVM 19.3.0. Very very interesting. I wonder is it possible to use it to compile I2P and make a portable version that can be put on a usb stick or at least have all the reads and writes to a folder of your choosing??? From the docs GraalVM 19.3.0 compiled I2P would make it smaller in memory and faster??? I don't think it would be easy as I read some of the directions for making a I2P package and they look complicated.

Thanks for the work on this. I see you have a new version up I'll download it tonight and try it. If t works I'll respond here with results tomorrow or the day after.
BeaconLilt

Post by BeaconLilt »

Well I tried it again set up for java 8 and it still doesn't work. I'm probably talking to myself here but since I said I would report what happened I will.

I suspect I will have to install GraalVM. In the FAQ it says you don't but if you wish to run java 11 on Win7 I believe you have to.

Some of the documentation for I2PSpeed is too spotty. There's great gaps in what you need to do. One critism I have is the last garbage collection doc.

Garbage collection: The pause time goal

http://532c5r6ra6rcf2mvfgtlcxbn3lpplybw ... p/gc3.html

It's not all together clear what you should set the timing at. Example they say,"...The machine we derived the published load figures from shows an average GC pause time of 72 ms. X86 usually needs some ms only..."

UUh some means...???? Then they say",..there are timers within I2P possibly striking after 10ms...". It it's a bit confusing because then they say"... In the example above , setting a pause time goal of 20 ms resulted in STW GC occurring 7 times as frequent using twice as much CPU...".

It's not altogether clear if the last statement is good or bad. More CPU use might not be a bad thing to trade for bandwidth. They say their system has a pause time of 72ms but say that this could trip timers. What I'm getting at is there's a big difference between 72ms and 20 ms and they even say a few ms??? It's not clear at all and even how to determine if you are on the right track is not clear either. The information is excellent and very interesting but what to do with it is lacking.

It would help if we just had some number. Maybe not the best but some average that would work in most cases..

The same applies for setting heap memory in this post

Tuning concurrent garbage collection
http://532c5r6ra6rcf2mvfgtlcxbn3lpplybw ... p/gc1.html

They give a number for BiglyBT which is great but nothing for I2P

I want to add I'm very grateful for the immense amount of work that's been done on this. I also would like to thank Zab for the work he did in, I suspect, starting the whole thing by realizing that there was problems in the efficiency of I2P.
echelon

Post by echelon »

HI!

as this is not a official I2P version, you need to ask the devs of that mod.
Zab has nothing to do with this kind of software.
It is a rather tight and very very special tuning of low level values, which will not work on all systems well, if at all.
So you would need a good knowledge if it does not work and you need help. If you do not have this knowledge, better stick with the official I2P version.

echelon
BeaconLilt

Post by BeaconLilt »

echelon why are you so derogatory? You have on many occasions acted in a derogatory manner to me. You may know a million times more than me about I2P but in many cases you're no help at all. To me anyways. You just leave snotty comments. You have very poor social skills. See how what you commented below has NOTHING TO DO with helping anyone at all. Here I'll parse it for you.

"...as this is not a official I2P version, you need to ask the devs of that mod..."

1st this is posted under "Board index General Misc" so it's obvious I'm not asking for anything but general help.
2nd. The very first sentence in the post I say,"...I've been trying to test some different modded I2Ps by different people. I've been talking to the programmer of I2Speed over email but it would be much better to talk over a forum if he is willing. ..."

So it's completely obvious that I'm experimenting and just detailing what I've done and how it worked out.

"...Zab has nothing to do with this kind of software..."

Uhh...no shit. I also said,"...modifications by Zab the same as the modifications..." and "... I also would like to thank Zab for the work he did in, I suspect, starting the whole thing..."

Showing that I clearly understand that this is an offshoot of some of the work zab did. Thanking zab for the work he did in no means I hold him answerable for I2Speed and I did not imply that. You just made this up and it's very shady and shifty to pretend that I somehow hold him responsible. The I2speed-F.A.Q says,"...Some issues addressed by us were first discussed by a guy called zab..." so asking what parts and/or how I2Speed relates to the work zab did is perfectly reasonable.

"...It is a rather tight and very very special tuning of low level values, which will not work on all systems well, if at all..."

No kidding. WOW could have fooled me. Thanks for such excellent advice. YOU REALLY ADDED VALUE HERE.

"...So you would need a good knowledge if it does not work and you need help. If you do not have this knowledge, better stick with the official I2P version..."

I don't need you to tell me this. There is no manual to this and I'm just asking questions but instead of, "like I stated in the very first line", doing it all by email so the knowledge is lost, I'm doing it publicly so if I do get answers it can be passed along to others. If I don;t get answers then...well I wasted my time but it's no concern of yours at all.

Really what you're getting at echelon is you're saying, not so subtly, "read the code". A really nasty way that some people have of elevating themselves. It might have been even better if you would have directly said that as it would show others much more clearly where you are coming from. If that's all you have to say...then why say anything. Much better that way.

Exactly how many people on Earth know the I2P code? I bet it's not a lot and it's silly to say anyone who's not willing to learn every line of I2P can not in any way contribute or try out experiments.

Every time I've had any interaction with you it's always you butting in providing ZERO help but saying some sort of derogatory nasty thing. I say again you have very poor social skills.
echelon

Post by echelon »

Hi!

Topic was moved from Section "Proposal", which was not the correct section, as there was no proposal added to the text.

Other personal non objective opinions (from a user unknown to me) are ignored.

Please try to keep it on topic and focused, not personal as the last post shows you were.

echelon

P.S.: about social skills - answering to my informal post (with no personal stuff in it) in a sarcastic posting full of harrassment shows no good social skills, instead it shows a attitude of a biased opinion and this post looks like a person should be attacked for no reason - maybe you think about this, again.