dns over tor

Misc topics about I2P
arctic

dns over tor

Post by arctic »

Hi again

If you want to get the most secure dns available, have a look at my small description at
http://resist.se/dns.txt It's equally safe as tls and unbound is, but using tor and socat to
bridge to my local dns server.

I am using only root servers here and the whole system is protected by extreme OpenBSD
firewalls and bridges. So if you wanna piss off NSA, give it a try and have phun :)

Regards: arctic
BadSeed

Re: dns over tor

Post by BadSeed »

I'm using your method but it seems I can't torrent at all. I was trying to download a PDF file about 2mb.
arctic

Post by arctic »

BadSeed wrote: 13 Feb 2019 16:22 I'm using your method but it seems I can't torrent at all. I was trying to download a PDF file about 2mb.
Hello..

Very odd. Does the dns work at all for you? Ie test it and make sure it does first. Try to do
this: dig resist.se +dnssec or dig sinodun.com +dnssec and notice the query time. If its working
it will work for torrents as well. Just a secure way to get all the dns queries hidden securely.

Today abt 6 hrs ago my fiber was down for 2 hrs but up again now working...

BadSeed

Post by BadSeed »

arctic wrote: 13 Feb 2019 18:16
BadSeed wrote: 13 Feb 2019 16:22 I'm using your method but it seems I can't torrent at all. I was trying to download a PDF file about 2mb.
Hello..

Very odd. Does the dns work at all for you? Ie test it and make sure it does first. Try to do
this: dig resist.se +dnssec or dig sinodun.com +dnssec and notice the query time. If its working
it will work for torrents as well. Just a secure way to get all the dns queries hidden securely.

Today abt 6 hrs ago my fiber was down for 2 hrs but up again now working...

I think its working
dig resist.se +dnssec

; <<>> DiG 9.10.8-P1 <<>> resist.se +dnssec
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 12298
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags: do; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;resist.se. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
resist.se. 1873 IN A xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
resist.se. 1873 IN RRSIG A 8 2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx resist.se. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

;; Query time: 1607 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Feb 13 12:57:32 CST 2019
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 223
arctic

Post by arctic »

[/quote]
I think its working
dig resist.se +dnssec
[/quote]

Great - congrats. And using the root-servers as I do is the most secure way. A bit slow at times but
to me security and reliability is what counts. Happy torrenting :)

BadSeed

Post by BadSeed »

What browser do you use? I want to move to Chromium on Linux, but I'm using Pale moon atm. Is chromium a good idea?
arctic

Post by arctic »

BadSeed wrote: 13 Feb 2019 19:29 What browser do you use? I want to move to Chromium on Linux, but I'm using Pale moon atm. Is chromium a good idea?
Hi again..

Yes I use chromium Version 72.0.3626.81 (Developer Build) (64-bit) for slackware but also
SeaMonkey and Firefox + Tor Browser. But chromium is good because it supports all video
formats at least..

So give it a try, works fine for me

/arctic
BadSeed

Post by BadSeed »

Does your method help with Google/Chromium spying and phoning home? I use Slackware too.
arctic

Post by arctic »

BadSeed wrote: 13 Feb 2019 19:47 Does your method help with Google/Chromium spying and phoning home? I use Slackware too.
Don't think chromium is doing that and my method has nothing to do with it at all. It just hides the
dns queries from the public eye, nothing else. If you wanna go deep into security then start using
only tor browser on a separate machine. Takes lots to hide yourself and be secure, which most ppl
don't have time to do sadly.

But give chromium a shot, works fine for me here...

/arctic
BadSeed

Post by BadSeed »

Ok, I'll give Chromium a shot. I still can't torrent. I have reset qbittorrent setting to default and its still not working. Not sure whats going on, all I get is retrieving metadata... Thanks for DNS remedy.