dns over tor

Misc topics about I2P
arctic

Re: dns over tor

Post by arctic »

BadSeed wrote: 13 Feb 2019 20:35 Ok, I'll give Chromium a shot. I still can't torrent. I have reset qbittorrent setting to default and its still not working. Not sure whats going on but thanks for the remedy.
Oki well use your normal dns and see if it works first. But maybe you have something wrong there.
I only use uTorrent myself and rarely nowdays. Might later start some udp/tcp proxies here as well
for torrents, will see...

Good luck!

/arctic
BadSeed

Post by BadSeed »

I got everything working now. I had to change 9150 port to 9050 because I don't use the Tor Browser. I also had to configure iptables if using Linux. Can you give me any security + privacy tips on configuring Chromium? You seem to be pretty security savvy and I really appreciate your contribution. Thanks, I'll be spending a lot of time on here in the near future.
arctic

Post by arctic »

BadSeed wrote: 16 Feb 2019 09:08 I got everything working now. I had to change 9150 port to 9050 because I don't use the Tor Browser. I also had to configure iptables if using Linux. Can you give me any security + privacy tips on configuring Chromium? You seem to be pretty security savvy and I really appreciate your contribution. Thanks, I'll be spending a lot of time on here in the near future.
Hello again.

Good but why not tor browser? Fiddling getting chromium safe is like reinventing the wheel twice :) Here I do all my casual browsing via TB and just use chromium for its good video support sometimes. So I highly recommend you to get it installed and start using it. There's no other option as good as it, despite what some ppl try to say.

Fine also you got the dns over tor working, its safe and quite easy compared with setting up unbound to reach my dns-tls.openbsd.se And you are
always assured you get to my local dns machine using the 8 x v3 .onions I keep running.

Regards: arctic
BadSeed

Post by BadSeed »

Your method should give me extra security hiding my fingerprint, right? If yes, then I don't really need the Tor browser bundle, plus I don't like it. Pale Moon or Chromium.
arctic

Post by arctic »

BadSeed wrote: 17 Feb 2019 12:48 Your method should give me extra security hiding my fingerprint, right? If yes, then I don't really need the Tor browser bundle, plus I don't like it. Pale Moon or Chromium.
Hello again

Well it does in that respect that your dns queries are not shown public if someone watches your ip. All secretly transmitted via the tor bridge.
However, chrome and all the other browsers out here leaks lots info so you are still exposed and not anonymous. If you like tor browser or not is of no importance. Either use it or be exposed. Its that simple..

BadSeed

Post by BadSeed »

These days there isn't too much I trust anyway. Quick question, every now and then I get an ip leak in qbittorrent. Do I need a special rule in iptables to stop this?
echelon

Post by echelon »

Simple, use I2PSnark or Vuze/azureus/bitlebe with I2P plugin and you get no IP leakage, as there are no IPs involved.

echelon
arctic

Post by arctic »

BadSeed wrote: 21 Feb 2019 21:15 These days there isn't too much I trust anyway. Quick question, every now and then I get an ip leak in qbittorrent. Do I need a special rule in iptables to stop this?
Hi

No idea and I never touch iptables - only pf and openbsd for me. :D Could be just anything there, hard to tell what to do...

BadSeed

Post by BadSeed »

I actually fixed it by using vibr0 and setting it in qbittorrent. My real ip stop showing up after I did it. Thanks again for your expertise.
BadSeed

Post by BadSeed »