I2P Updates, November 25th, 2018

sadie

I2P Updates, November 25th, 2018

Post by sadie »

We continue to work through our roadmap goals for .38, and the theme the past few weeks has been "toe stubbing."

Fixing Ajax on IE is not how I imagined I’d be spending Saturday night. But it felt rewarding!”

Sums it up!

LS2

A first draft proposal has been written for the first new end-to-end encryption type since the beginning of I2P, to replace ElGamal/AES+SessionTags.
http://i2p-projekt.i2p/spec/proposals/144 / (https://geti2p.net/spec/proposals/144-e ... ad-ratchet)

For now, expect the proposal to undergo frequent revisions, without notice.

We plan to have an initial discussion about it (not a formal review)
at the LS2 meeting Monday December 3, 7:30 PM UTC, IRC #ls2

Design/ Usability

Design and testing continues for our UX improvements planned for our January release. Goals include an new landing page, download and contact page for our site, first run set up wizard and new colour palette and icons for the router console. With holiday and travel consideration we have a very tight deadline and these goals may need to be refined further as with any release.

Next we will begin to address our information structure on the website as a first step in creating a consistent flow from site to console. This process started back in 2016 when we began working with Ura, so we at least have a place to begin. What we are considering is regrouping our menu into different user categories that would make information easier to locate such as new users, technical documentation, research and so on. We have had very good suggestions from Ura that were made from their observations during the usability study released in October.

“While having a lot of information is a great way to help the user get to know the program and how to use it, we should be careful with how it is presented to the user. Too much information at once can scare the user away. For example, the site has a bunch of submenus which is considered an overload of information (see screenshot below) . Having the submenus arranged in a way that the user can find it only when they need them would help in this case.”

Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 8.34.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-25 at 8.34.43 AM.png (181.03 KiB) Viewed 16842 times

Another goal is to create a post install guide where we provide only essential information for people installing I2P for the first time, presented in a step by step format. Again, we have very good documentation, but feedback has shown that it may need to be restructured to improve the experience of a person downloading and setting up I2P for the first time. As Ura pointed out, scrolling through a lot of documentation should not be a requirement to finding what you are looking for.

Once we can successfully create a new pattern flow for our documentation on the site, we can begin to apply that to the router console.

35C3

We are closer to preparing for our 2019 roadmap. As we approach consideration for 2019 roadmap, it is important to take in to consideration maintaining the momentum of our successes and focus from 2018. This would include continuing to work on our cryptography, improvements to user onboarding and more usability testing and improvements to our router console navigation, and much more.