I2P Design Updates

sadie

I2P Design Updates

Post by sadie »

Hi Everyone,

Our weekly updates have fallen behind lately, but for good reason - we have been busy!

First, thanks so much to Ura Creative for creating a Style Guide for us and performed a usability study.

"The Usability evaluation of I2P was conducted by the Ura Design team at the
Open Labs Hackerspace (Tirana, Albania) in July and August 2018. Although
the testing environment was a hackerspace, participants came from a variety
of backgrounds..

We also encouraged testers to use different browsers to test with, so we could
cover as many use case scenarios as possible. Of course, they were not
pressured to use any specific browser, it was up to them to decide what they
felt more comfortable using.
We also wanted to cover a variety of operating systems and compare them;
the installation process is a little different on each operating system and that
led us to interesting results. Participants were allowed to use any Linux
distribution and Windows.

Ten volunteers participated in this usability test, representing a mix of gender
and age ranges (mostly age 18-39.)
We’ve had people of different background and technical expertise take the
test."

Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.27.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 11.27.29 AM.png (156.31 KiB) Viewed 14738 times
You can review the usability study and see the Style Guide here: https://ura.design/projects/i2p.html

With this in mind, we have prototyped a first run installation wizard to help new users understand bandwidth settings and how to configure their browser. So far with the help of alreadyburnt on Reddit who has been working with Zab, we have an Automatic i2p browser profile launcher which you can test: https://www.reddit.com/r/i2p/comments/9 ... _launcher/ A HUGE thank you for this!

At the moment, our set up flow will include language selection, speed test and bandwidth settings, and browser config.

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.33.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.33.58 PM.png (90.89 KiB) Viewed 14738 times
Initial prototype with our updated colour palette

We have chosen a new wordmark for I2P as well.

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.33.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 3.33.33 PM.png (60.34 KiB) Viewed 14738 times
In addition, we have chosen new iconography, fonts, and a colour palette. With our next release we aim to have the installation wizard ready, new OSX installer, refreshed console and website and rebranding done. Improvements to the Windows installation will be improved as well beginning in .38 and going into .39. The next major release is scheduled for the end of January.

A reminder that we will be at 35c3 - make sure to find us! We look forward to seeing everyone in Leipzig!

Sadie