Design Notes: Updating I2P

sadie

Design Notes: Updating I2P

Post by sadie »

During the past few years, a topic that has come up often is our need to improve our overall design and provide better user onboarding. We also still encounter issues with comparisons to Tor, which is confusing for expectations. We have made a more simplified /home console and have been making updates to our site and documentation, as well as making huge improvements for ease of translation. However, there is much more to do.

Now we are beginning to consider a complete design overhaul and branding refresh for the project. Our router console is being reworked as well. A new colour palette, new fonts, new iconography, a refreshed vision. To start this process, we begin with revisiting the reason some of work on I2P, why we use I2P and support I2P.

Yesterday I asked people on Twitter what comes to mind when they think about I2P, and for those who use I2P, or run services, why do you do it? The general consensus is that our users care about privacy, security, and being part of a community which supports each other in those goals.

This is great start of a broader conversation about what matters most to people using I2P. We also need to talk about improving the ease of use for the services you use.

For myself, I want the option to have access to privacy in my communications. Privacy should be a default, and what we do should start with supporting real human tasks with tools that are easy to use. I also want to see greater adoption of Hidden Services.

Here is where we are at with the direction of our website:
I2P Site Progress.jpg
I2P Site Progress.jpg (46.96 KiB) Viewed 12077 times
And here, the direction we are taking with updated icons:
Advanced Settings Option.jpg
Advanced Settings Option.jpg (62.44 KiB) Viewed 12077 times

We are considering the factors of user onboarding and who it is for, ie. what are people using I2P for now and how can we make that process easier for new users? We know that the network needs more content, how can this process be improved to get people creating hidden services?

We are taking into consideration updating (again, maybe?) our logo and tagline. We are assessing our personality and tone and our image (dark web biases).

I look forward to feedback and suggestions, and sharing this process.

-Sadie
echelon

Re: Design Notes: Updating I2P

Post by echelon »

Hey

I like it!

echelon
zlatinb

Re: Design Notes: Updating I2P

Post by zlatinb »

I like that the tagline fits on a single line :) However "Browse privately" covers only a small part of what I2P does - there's chat and torrents that people care about too.

I propose "Connect privately" instead - it is still a single word and not a complicated one.