How do I restore i2p?

HowTos, FAQs, Tips & Tricks, & Guides
quark

How do I restore i2p?

Post by quark »

Hello,

I am in need of a list of configuration files that I need to restore i2p. It would be nice to have a guide here that lists the files that are needed to restore i2p. I changed computers and need to have my plugins, eepsite, and syndie restored. Also any other files that need to be put back in place in order to pick up where my i2p install was on my old computer. Thanks for all of your help in advance. I am sure many other users will appreciate this guide.

quark :D
quark
echelon

Re: How do I restore i2p?

Post by echelon »

HI

The absolute bare minimum are the keyfiles for your server tunnels, which should be in backup all the time. Those are vital for your destinations to ebe xexistant.

Other setup is done in router.config and client.config files (need to verify later on with access to routers), those files do set the config of I2P router and tunnel clients config.
Beside those, some keys for ssl access to router console may exist.
In general: the I2P folder in user profile could be migrated simpoly to the new server and it should take the old config with no issues.
If you do switch architecture, it maybe a issue with libjbigi, which is CPU dependent.

My tip: start I2p on new platform, wait for router to appear, stop I2P. Copy over tunnels/router configs, keys, and userdate like eepsite folder, start i2p again.

More details later after I have access again.

echelon
quark

Post by quark »

echolon,

The hardware is the same, but I did change the operating system. From Windows 10 to Debian 10.3 Buster. I2P is operating on Debian now. Would it be possible to copy the contents of the Windows i2p local folder to the Debian .i2p directory?

I copied the entire i2p directory. My system seems to be working fine. I will update this post if I run into any problems.

Thank you echolon.
quark
echelon

Post by echelon »

Hi

sorry, got distracted this weekend.

On moving between architectures, you need to take care of several architecture specialties, e.g. linefeed and other special characters in text files.

In general I would instlal new router, start it up to get the correct libjbigi, stop it, and copy over these files:
- hosts.txt
- hostsdb.blockfile
- clients.config.d/*
-i2ptunnel.config.d/*
-keybackup/*
-plugins
-plugins.config
-router.config
-router.keys.dat
-webapps.config

roughly the whole i2p user folder. Most important are the keyfiles, all other can be configured again. Those files are just convinient to copy over.
Never tried inter-architectures, but should work in theory.

echelon
quark

Post by quark »

echolon,

I did lose the webserver icon on the console applications section. I tried reset to defaults, remove and re-add the icon, but it does not show up on the console. I made an error in that I did not export my syndie keys before I did the migration nor did I use a VM or something like that. anyway the copying of the i2p local folder/directory is working. thank you for your time in helping me.

:)
quark
quark

Re: How do I restore i2p? <SOLVED>

Post by quark »

hello all,

for those of you who are trying to restore i2p it is as easy as restoring the ~/appdata/i2p folder in windows or the ~/.i2p directory in linux. Some issues are:

1. back up the local i2p folder/directory, it not you can't restore it.
2. export the keys in syndie, if you use this.
3. make sure you are restoring the same i2p version as the backed up one.

please let me know if i have forgotten or have anything here incorrect. i hope this helps some of the less educated users like me. :D
quark