How to be safer(maybe)

HowTos, FAQs, Tips & Tricks, & Guides
Obfuscate

How to be safer(maybe)

Post by Obfuscate »

In some situations, people even need to hid the fact that they are using I2P.
So this may be a way to provide higher security than default options.

Enable hidden mode.
Disable inbound IPV4.
Disable inbound IPV6.
Enable laptop mode.
Completely disable externally reachable hostname or IP address of TCP.

In this way, your RI won't contain your IP address, and it will may be harder to discover your real IP, so I think it will be safer.

Welcome any criticism and corrections
Email: obfuscate@mail.i2p
GPG/Bote: http://zerobin.i2p/?f29cf44277405258#ZIy3CVcmTvaguHRv0MX6n7e43ttM49PmnFV5qT+N4eQ=
aluxe

Re: How to be safer(maybe)

Post by aluxe »

Depends on what you mean by safe.
If you're looking to hide what you are doing on I2P, this may not be the best option.
If you're trying to minimize your footprint with I2P usage, this is probably the best option.
I2P-Bote: 4luxHKWOei7if0lnhaE54aFjkuqgXCFPzn4~KR~qbWE65wfVLbXrDR2O-LvugDzA35hgDeFUDrZ0GnRreBg83m
echelon

Re: How to be safer(maybe)

Post by echelon »

Hi

Ok, just to know what it does:
hidden mode - it does prohibite the save of your IP/router ID in other routers ID, this results in other nodes won´t connect to you, but you still connect to others. The ones you connect to still have your IP. It results in mayor performance malus.
Disable INGOING IPv4/IPv6 just stops other I2P routers to connect to you, you still connect to others, leave your fingerprint behind, more or less the same as hidden mode, still huge performance drawback.
Laptop mode just generates a new router ID every restart/IP change. As the router is new to network after the restart, it has no known peers and is still unknown by others, they will not connect to yours. Huge performance drawback.

echelon