Spread I2P

Proposals for I2P
anonymousmaybe

Spread I2P

Post by anonymousmaybe »

Hi There,

I would like to have your thoughts about spreading I2P through out Torrent websites + P2P projects.

As I2P is the perfect protocol for those uses.

Thats been said , its very important that one of I2P team should do the spreading to be official and authentic and can be discusable as an employee to employee from both projects sides.

There are countless websites regarding these 2 categories that i mentioned e.g:

- Diaspora (Try communicate with All their Pods)
- Mastodon (Try communicate with All their Servers)
- GNUnet (Try communicate with All their Servers)
- PeerTube (Try communicate with All their Channels Servers)
..........etc

I believe @sadie can handle this job. Wish you all the best :)
Last edited by anonymousmaybe on 09 Oct 2018 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
echelon

Re: Spread I2P

Post by echelon »

Hi!

Torrent is a dangerous minefield and it is very important to be very careful with this.
Esp. for members of the team who are not anonymous.
Some countries tend to arrest and sue folks for supporting torrents, which would also apply to I2P team members.
Also none of the I2P team is a employee to I2P, as there is no legal entity at all. But due to the fact of loose IRC meetings the I2P team could be accused of forming a illegal group of providing help to distribute (c) material illegaly.
And as each member of the I2P team has a different threat model, we need to take these possibilities serious and act very careful.

echelon
zlatinb

Post by zlatinb »

zlatinb: I can give you my personal position on the subject:
[5:53pm] zlatinb: It is risky to associate I2P with copyright infringement
[5:53pm] zlatinb: At the same time we can’t deny that we have a built-in torrent client
[5:54pm] anonymous-maybe: i didnt get the part of copyright infrigement, like how ?
[5:55pm] zlatinb: in the mind of the general public torrent sites are associated with copyright infringement - it sucks but that’s the way it is
[5:56pm] anonymous-maybe: ah i see
[5:56pm] anonymous-maybe: but who cares from I2P side or pointview?
[5:57pm] anonymous-maybe: ppl uses VPN to dos (mostly) , but from a VPN company = who cares?
[5:58pm] anonymous-maybe: its not I2P issue , I2P is a protocol to be used for the rights of the users on the internet which is to surf it privatly
[5:58pm] zlatinb: does the VPN company advertise the ability to dos or do they just tolerate it as a necessary evil?
[5:58pm] zlatinb: would a VPN company put an add on a webpage containing dos instructions? I don’t think so
[5:59pm] zlatinb: s/add/ad/
[6:00pm] anonymous-maybe: u can say I2P doesnt has any relation to unauthorised/copyrighted uploading materliase
[6:00pm] anonymous-maybe: on the same time , I2P for Secure Torrent
[6:01pm] anonymous-maybe: because copyright something , Torrenting something else
[6:02pm] zlatinb: sure, but if your specific question is “do we want i2p being promoted on torrent sites” I would be oposed. If your question is “do we want to advertise I2P’s ability to torrent” - absolutely yes
[6:02pm] anonymous-maybe: same as with VPN story
[6:03pm] anonymous-maybe: because not all torrents sides are evil + if they r then THEY not US=I2P
[6:04pm] anonymous-maybe: kali is the most famous hacking distro , but they are promoting Debian
[6:04pm] anonymous-maybe: because its based on it , on the same time Debian doesnt associate with any Kali activity
[6:05pm] anonymous-maybe: (whether its legal or not)
[6:05pm] zlatinb: excellent point about not all torrent sites being evil - I’ve no problem advertising I2P on those who are “clean” of copyrighted material, it’s just a matter of finding them
[6:05pm] anonymous-maybe: yep which sadie job or anyone whos helping her
[6:07pm] anonymous-maybe: also P2P projects like Social Media are very great spot to jump in
[6:07pm] zlatinb: that I agree with. Btw, I would like to copy/paste this conversation to Sadie. Do I have your permission to do so?
[6:09pm] zlatinb: or even on the forum if you don’t mind
[6:09pm] anonymous-maybe: yeah sure
[6:09pm] anonymous-maybe: ofcourse ofcourse
[6:09pm] zlatinb: cool thanks will do so now
[6:09pm] anonymous-maybe: post it in the same topic as spread I2P
[6:09pm] zlatinb: yep
anonymousmaybe

Post by anonymousmaybe »

Not just P2P and torrents, even email services/clients which are willing to use hidden services e.g: Lavabit Volcano.

any decentralized service...