modern GUI for IPSnark

Issues and ideas about I2PSnark
egyxsdbo

modern GUI for IPSnark

Post by egyxsdbo »

Is there a more modern GUI for IPSnark?

For one thing, I find it inconvenient to go to the website every time to manually add torrents one by one. In normal torrent programs, it is enough to simply click on a magnet link on a website so that it is automatically added to the torrent list.

In addition, the web interface hardly meets the requirements of a modern program in terms of operation. You can't even say that a directory should not be downloaded, instead you have to say this for each file individually.
lgillis

Re: modern GUI for IPSnark

Post by lgillis »

BBT can do everything:
Description-en: BitTorrent client
BiglyBT is a feature filled, open source, ad-free, BitTorrent client used
to transfer files via the BitTorrent protocol. BiglyBT is the continuation
of the Vuze/Azureus project first created in 2003, and is being actively
developed by the original coders.
Homepage: http://www.biglybt.com
End of unpaid advertising. ;-)
Spring https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF-q-IGQQb1uK7fYuaQiRpcORDSmfsY2n
egyxsdbo

Post by egyxsdbo »

Yes, I know this and have tested it. For me as a qBittorrent user BitlyBT is bloadware as it uses much more ressources and I haven't managed to keep it from leaking to the clear net.

Maybe you have one recommended site that helps to configure the program properly.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

Ok, I see. I2P had several I2P wikis with illustrated instructions on how to install and set up BiglyBT, but these are basically all mine and the wikis have since disappeared, as far as I'm informed. But even with correct setup, BiglyBT doesn't get any leaner, and on top of that there's the climate-warming CPU problem I've already addressed alongside. In terms of BitTorrent, I2PSnark is the slimmest cross-platform program I2P has to offer. And as long as no developers can be found who develop native BitTorrent clients for the respective operating systems, this will not change much in the foreseeable future.

Maybe a simple script would be feasible, which is defined as a desktop application, so that when a magnet link is clicked in the web browser it can be opened with this application. But I2PSnark would have to accept parameters on the command line, I think. The situation is different with torrent files that have already been downloaded. These could be simply copied by the script into the torrent directory monitored by I2PSnark and I2PSnark would then do the rest.

The user interface (GUI) for IPSnark has already been taken care of by the designer for web applications and he releases a version of I2PSnark with different colorful user interfaces. It all looks very "American" but it is not very difficult to create your own theme from the existing CSS* files. Its versions can also be obtained from the local trackers.

I'm sorry that I can't really help you. But here in I2P there are quite a few people who are much deeper in the matter than me, so just keep on the ball.

(* Addendum: For those who don't want to make friends with CSS, there are extensions for the major web browsers that can be used to adapt or fundamentally change the appearance of the websites. In addition, Firefox can make its own color selection and also determine fonts, which is then applied to all sites.)
Last edited by lgillis on 28 Jan 2023 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
egyxsdbo

Post by egyxsdbo »

In my research I found PicoTorrent. The client is maybe somewhat minimalist, but otherwise sufficient. What I could not find is how to configure it safely.
lgillis

Post by lgillis »

There are undoubtedly many BitTorrent clients, but here on this network, the general rule is that if the application or program does not explicitly advertise for use with I2P, then it will not work with I2P. By the way, this also includes outdated and no longer maintained programs, as well as programs from unknown third-party providers, because they represent a possible security risk.